Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vlan configuration via NetSight (or OneView Basic) on XOS Switches

Vlan configuration via NetSight (or OneView Basic) on XOS Switches

MartinS1
New Contributor
Hi there,

we're trying to configure VLANs on a Summit X460-G2 via Netsight.
Is this even possible with our equipment and licenses?

NetSight Version 6.3.0.174
License NMS Base

Summit Switch running XOS 16.1.1.4

I'll post some Screenshots later 🙂

Kind regards,
Martin
7 REPLIES 7

dflouret
Extreme Employee
MartinS,

I'm curious. What do you mean by "it is not possible to manage and edit Port-VLANs confortable via NetSight"?

You select the switches, indicate the vlan name and tag, select the ports and add them as tagged or untagged, finally you apply the configuration to all switches.

Once the vlan exists you can change its name or id, modify the ports in the existing switches, remove the vlan from existing switches or add new switches and ports to it.

What would you do differently and why do you see the way it is done as not fit for your customers?

Just trying to understand your point of view...

Hi Martin

Thanks for you valuable feedback & agree VLAN management for EXOS switches using ExtremeManagement/NetSight is not optimal.

As Daniel mentioned above, we actively working currently to add the missing MIBS into G2 switches.

Thanks
Arun Solleti

Senior Product Manager – EXOS

Martin,

I've been told that EXOS needs some MIBs to allow configuring vlans the same way that it is done for EOS.

Those MIBs will be added in a future release of EXOS and Management Center.

if you need more specific information, please contact your local SE.

Regards, Daniel

Hi Daniel,

the customers, I know, don't use network maps, so far.
So at first they have to create and manage these for the entire network.

By selecting a VLAN and editing the ports you have to choose from all ports of the entire network map!
In my example, the map inclued 2 XOS Stacks. By clicking "Edit Port" it takes about aprox. 35 seconds until the "Edit VLAN Ports" window opens, which is not satisfying. and then you have to choose from all 192 Ports of the 2 stacks.

And what if you want to create a new trunk port with all, let's say, 20 VLANs tagged?... You have to do this procedure 20 times?!

Changing VLANs within a table would be much better.
For example, via Interface summary > select a port > edit VLAN xy (un)tagged > done!

Changing Port-VLANs is daily business for the customer and should be possible to do in no time.

On EOS it was just like: select a switch from the tree > got to VLAN > Basic Ports > select the port > show table editor > select the VLAN from the drop-down menu > apply!
And for Uplinks you could create a Template and just push it to the desired Uplink Port.

I hope I could explain why the customers are not pleased how VLANs are managable on XOS Switches compared with EOS Switches!

Is there a chance, this will be improved in NetSight v7?

Cheers,
Martin
GTM-P2G8KFN