cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Voice and Data Vlans

Voice and Data Vlans

Malcolm2
New Contributor
I need to setup a switch (X460P) to be able to use a VOIP Phone (Polycom) and to be able to use a PC also. The PC MIGHT be plugged into the phone, or there may not be a phone at all, just a PC plugged into a port.

All ports on the switch would need this ability.
So far, I would do this:
Create Vlan Voice tag 10
Config Voice IPAddress 192.168.102.2/24
Config voice add ports 1-48 tag
config vlan default ipaddress 192.168.100.2/24
config vlan default add ports 1-48
ena ipforward voice
ena ipforward default
Config iproute add default 192.168.100.250

I would configure DHCP for each vlan

Now comes my real question.
How does the switch know that I'm plugging in a phone, rather than a PC (or printer or other device). ? I want the voice vlan to get DHCP from the scope I create for Voice, but if a PC gets plugged in, I want DHCP from the data scope I create.
How it know?
11 REPLIES 11

Marcus_Florido1
New Contributor
Thank you for catching this, Renne. Dyslexia. It's a disease horrible!

Let me correct this for the OP:

configure vlan "data_VLAN" add ports 1 untagged
configure vlan "voice_VLAN" add ports 1 tagged

Many find that setting up the phones/switches in this manner is simpler this way (note that I did not say better). Since the OP wanted to know how the switch (not the DHCP server) differentiated between the traffic destined to the two devices, I simply mentioned how the segregation works (VLAN tagging).

Renne_Stuart
New Contributor
This will not work unless you either manually vlan tag the phone or set up dhcp scope options to give the phone it's tag or preferred option to set up Lldp. The tag and un tag in your example for xos is the wrong way round as well.

Marcus_Florido
New Contributor
There are many different ways to do this, but the basic underlying structure will remain the same. You'll configure the switchport to be a member of an untagged VLAN (with it's associated DHCP scope) for the computer, and then tag the "voice" VLAN (with a different DHCP scope associated with it) for the phone traffic. The phone will be capable of separating the traffic based on the VLAN tag, and since you will be plugging the computer into the phone jack, you can let the phone do the magic for you. On an Enterasys switch the port commands would look something like this, where VLAN 300=data_VLAN, and VLAN 400=voice_VLAN:

set port vlan ge.1.1 300 no-modify egress
set vlan egress 400 ge.1.1 tagged

The XOS will be similar, and look something like this:

configure voice_VLAN add ports 1 untagged
configure data_VLAN add ports 1 tagged

I am admittedly less familiar with XOS (for now). Plug the phone into the switch, and your computer into the phone, and you should be on your way.

Thank you so much! They were already configured and working.

Thanks for the data and the support!
GTM-P2G8KFN