cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

VPLS layer 3 ?

VPLS layer 3 ?

Jader
New Contributor
Good morning everyone, I am a beginner in mpls and I have some doubts.

I need to create a VPLS with ip / 30 on each side, which would be the best way?

when configuring the IP on a vlan, it is not possible to configure the VPLS service.

what is the best way to do this?
5 REPLIES 5

Brunno_Lopes
New Contributor
Then you confirm that an external device is needed to have a routed/managed VPLS? This would be a limitation and other vendor's MPLS switches perform this type of service. This would be important to provide, on the same PE, both L2 (VPLS) and L3 service.

IĀ“ve also seen on the "Exos 15.7 User Guide" an statement that says "Forward between normal VLAN/VMAN and Openflow pseudowires using standard Ethernet..." (page 1467). Would it be possible to have a VLAN with IPForwarding to an openflow pseudowire?

Would there be any possibility to have this running also on a PWE3 with selective VMAN?

This is a real need on our network, and we can't have an external device to perform this function.

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
The VPLS service vlan cannot have ipforwarding enabled. The GW function should then be on a separate device. Consider your mpls switches as PE/P and let the CE act as L3 GW. I never tried an external loopback interface to recirculate the packet. Not sure if this would work. No issue to run an IGP between the mpls switches, using /30 or /31 subnet.

Brunno_Lopes
New Contributor
IĀ“ve gone through the same issue here. We need to have 2 remote switches, running VRRP over a VPLS service. I can't transport the VLAN between these 2 switches through trunk ports, the only way to accomplish this is by using MPLS/VPLS. These 2 switches must have L3 access to the IPv4 table.
Is there any solution without an external equipment?

Jader
New Contributor
hello, I mpls working perfectly (when using vlan in layer 2).

When configuring IP on a vlan that as the VPLS service got the following error:

* X480-IXX enable ipforwarding vlan-3
Error: vlan VLAN-3 is enabled for VPLS!

?
GTM-P2G8KFN