warranty for outdoor APs

• Question
  • Updated 12 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hi,

is there a special reason why the outdoor APs have only 1 year warranty and all other APs come with "Ltd. Lifetime Warranty with express Advanced Hardware Replacement-2" ?

Thx,
Ron
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 45,606 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Roaming 24/7

Roaming 24/7

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is typical. Cisco does the same. I can only assume it is because of the harsh conditions. Our failure for extremes outdoor APs compared to Cisco was initial very high. After further inspection I had the extreme partner come back onsite to grounds the APs correctly. Once this was done I probably lose 1 extreme AP a month. We have just over 200 installed at my facility.
(Edited)
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

• 45,586 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
1 a month sound VERY high to me, I'd request a diagnose of the AP from quality control to see what is going on.
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

• 45,606 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Anyone from Extreme that could give details.
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 37,742 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'll ask others to participate here.
If I had to guess though, I'd agree with Roaming 24/7's post above... outdoor APs are subjected to harsher conditions and more "abuse" that the warranty shouldn't be expected to cover.
Photo of Aguilar, William

Aguilar, William, Employee

• 2,664 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

The differences in warranties between most indoor APs and outdoor APs is driven by a combination of the harsh conditions where outdoor APs are deployed and the fact (as alluded to in this thread) that there is a high-risk of failure due to improper installations.  The APs themselves are very robust and generally have a low failure rates when installed properly - nevertheless they are prone to higher risks due to inclement weather conditions or bad installations therefore they carry a 1-year warranty.

Thanks,

Will

Photo of Ronald Dvorak

• 45,586 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the answer.