cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

What does RF Domain option do in the C5210 controller?

What does RF Domain option do in the C5210 controller?

Laura
New Contributor III
I am trying to fine tune the controller and APs to have better wifi at our schools. Should I change the "RF Domain" option per school building? Should each building have its own RF Domain name? So it will only manage that specific schools APs? We have about 50 different buildings, all on different subnets. All the APs with the RF Domain name, "MyDomaintest" will all be in their own little group, seperate from the rest of the APs?

42d0fd4cff9a42368e09dce90e838224_RackMultipart20160401-93384-mwnyb-mydomain_inline.png

6 REPLIES 6

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
AFAIK the APs with the same RF domain does coordinate the ATxPC feature. it makes sense to have APs on the same place in the same RF domain = you can create groups.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
I've never changed it.

In theory you'd set it to another value in case you are in an office building with other companies that use Extreme WLAN.
So that the APs don't use the other companies APs for the channel/tx power calculation.

If the APs in the area all yours I see no reason to change it.

- Ron

Doug
Extreme Employee
That name gets periodically advertised out by the radio, other ap's in the same domain/area can use that for power tuning and dynamic channel selection. There should be no issues creating RF group names by buildings. Like you mentioned, they would participate in their own groups based on that rf domain name.

Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

Doug
Extreme Employee
I would suggest just the building, not each floor.
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN