cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is effect of changing stacking protocol on production stack?

What is effect of changing stacking protocol on production stack?

Nathan_Grist
New Contributor II
I have a single X670V-48t (master, slot1) stacked with a X460-48x (backup, slot2) using V80 module in x460 to the X670 QSFP+ ports and both slots are showing the stacking protocol as "Standard".

I need to add a stack node (X670G2-48x-4q, slot3) and I have verified the following is correct:
  1. Running same EXOS ver
  2. Running on same active partition
  3. Using same license level
...except I see details about the X670G2-48x-4q requiring the "enhanced" stacking protocol. I'm sure this is true, as I read it in this post. So the question is, can I change the stacking protocol on each stack node already in the stack from "standard" to "enhanced" without a network disruption?

Also, what is the most effective way of doing this? I would think console port on each slot to change stacking protocol to match one at a time assuming the stack nodes lose connection when you do this. However, will this cause any dual "Master" issues and if so how does one go about getting around this issue?

After this I intend to add the new X670G2-48x-4q just like any other stack node.
2 REPLIES 2

Nathan_Grist
New Contributor II
Thanks.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Nathan,

In order to change the stacking protocol you will need to reboot each node for it to take effect.

You will need to change it on each individual node. You can utilize the telnet slot command to get to each node in the stack and make the change. Once they have all been changed you will just need to do a global reboot.
GTM-P2G8KFN