cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

White Listing Xbox

White Listing Xbox

Colin_Steadman
New Contributor
Students on the campus are asking if Xbox can be made to work on wireless. I've done a bit of research and spoken to someone at Microsoft and the problem seems to be that when an Xbox connects it wants to talk to Xbox Live before it will open Internet Explorer. However we want the user to sign in with Internet Explorer before we give them internet access... a bit of a chicken and egg situation. The work-around suggested is to whitelist the MAC address of the Xbox and register whose device it is. I've searched in help and cant see where I would do this (I can only see mention of blacklisting). Does Extreme support whitelisting, if so where is it? Or has anyone setup their wireless to support Xbox? Its not a high priority for us, but I'm open to the idea because gaming uses much less bandwidth than streaming video and it may help take some of the strain off the APs in peak evening periods.
12 REPLIES 12

Verus
New Contributor II
If a whitelist would exist for adding single clients, then the purpose is that RADAR ignores those clients if it detects something like a (false) attack.
Now I had to disable a radar prevention setting.
We had problems with wifi phones and laptops, older and new equipment.
This way of working is not stable for our users and one of our directors had this problem with his new laptop, all drivers up to date.
If the people who decide where to invest money have a problem with some kind of technology, you can be sure that they won't invest in that piece of technology in the future.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
You'd need to open a case to make a feature request.
How to contact Extreme Networks Global Technical Assistance Center (GTAC)

Verus
New Contributor II
No, I don't think so.
Maybe they read this also ??

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Do you know if a feature request was created for this?
GTM-P2G8KFN