WiFi speed ??ap7532

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Hello there,
I've two Ap's 7532 with latest firmware,one installed as VC,5 and 2,4 are working both plugged with cat6 utp and 1 GB Poe switch, when I connect my new phone that supports AC I get Max 400mb speed and not the max what it should be, is there something I should change in the setting??? Thanks
Photo of Hayman Aliabdala

Hayman Aliabdala

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Tomasz

Tomasz

• 2,394 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello Hayman,

The short answer: I'm afraid you will never ever get "the max what it should be" for any 802.11 transmission.

The long answer:
1. 7532 supports 11ac with up to 1,9 Gbps data rate when both radios work. But for 5 Ghz radio, which is used for 11ac, it will be something like 1,3 Gbps (would have to look further in some technical reference for this AP).
2. This 1,3 Gbps is achievable for full MIMO, i.e. 3x3. Your phone most probably is 1x1 MIMO or 2x2 MIMO, so just part of this full data rate throughput is achievable.
3. However, this nominal throughput assumes the widest channels possible (here it would be 80 MHz). If in an enterprise, try not to set channels wider than 20 or 40 MHz at most so you will have more channels to use in your planning. If you had a phone with 2x2 MIMO and 40 MHz channel with short Guard Interval, it is 400 Mbps at most. Please take a look at the MCS table what are the throughputs available for 1x1 or 2x2 MIMO, 20- or 40 MHz-wide channels: http://mcsindex.com/
4. Unfortunately, AP throughput specifies PHY capabilities, but within wireless networks there is much bigger overhead for control traffic, L2 frame headers etc. compared to Ethernet frames, so you should assume ~50% of AP throughput (for that band, for that "size" of MIMO) as really achievable.
5. Co-Channel Interferences and Adjacent Channel Interferences come into play, also too high Tx power and too wide channels are not good so you would have to review your power&channel scheme and seek for other 5 GHz transmissions. Assume something like 4-7 dBm being put out of the AP instead of 20-26 dBm that would interfere (ACI/CCI) neighboring APs on huge distance pretty badly.
6. Eventually, a number of connected devices, in-line obstacles like walls, or sub-optimal settings of some subtle parameters might come into play.

Please also have in mind, that in AP-to-STA distance of 1 meter or less you have a near field in which you will not benefit from MIMO, if your phone really is 2x2 or 3x3 and not 1x1.

What is your exact AP configuration and the phone model if it's not an issue to provide us with?
What is your testing methodology?

Kind regards,
Tomasz
(Edited)

Hayman Aliabdala

Thanks, very clear and nice explained,ill look at the specs of the phone ( OnePlus 5) and the Ap7532 is set to auto channel on both 2.4 and 5GHz BBS both are enable,when I look through putty it's gives Max 866Mbps ,but with the Home wifi alert app get only 400Mbps that when I'm setting almost 2meter from the access point....
I'll try the 80h and let you know ,if you have some tips for the AP configuration please let me know.
Thanks again
(Edited)
Photo of Tomasz

Tomasz

• 1,764 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
So it looks like OnePlus 5 is 2x2 MIMO, take a look here as well (the phone chipset and then chipset specs):
https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5-8647.php
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/835

866,7 Mbps seems to be the max throughput, and if you are able to get 400 Mbps you're really the lucky guy. :) You are experimenting at home with this, right? Sounds like no "natural predators" like nearby APs that would work on the same or adjacent channel. I would have to take a look at this WiFi measurement app because - as it is stated on mcsindex.com - 866,7 Mbps is theoretical maximum for 2x2 with 80 MHz channels and short guard intervals. If you have 40MHz right now then this 400 Mbps would look like PHY utilisation for me, but I might be wrong.

However, if you would plan wireless network in an enterprise, don't use 80 MHz. You will drastically decrease the amount of channels for your channel plan. Depending on region, you might have just couple of them.

Next thing, don't be too worried about the throughput. Besides some rare occasions with file transfers or multimedia streaming, wireless devices utilize the RF band with kbps order of magnitude (like tens or hundreds of kbps) rather than Mbps. So if you are concerned about some home WiFi deployment for phone-to-TV, that might be something to work on (or perhaps you would be interested in 802.11ad capabilities of your phone). In an enterprise, not much to hassle about if the channels and powers are set as close to optimum as possible. In my workplace there is couple of APs and we force 5 GHz (because no need for 2.4 GHz other than for guest wireless devices), the spectrum is clean and behind a wall, about 8 meters. 40 MHz channels and my PC has 2x2 chipset. I get max PHY throughput that varies between 300-something and 866,7 Mbps (right now it is 780, most of the time it's 585 Mbps) and that's fine cause we have couple of tens of Mbps out to the Internet and not much internal traffic. My device statistics from the controller show couple of peaks like 200 and 900 kbps but most of the time it stays much below 100 kbps.

If you are a partner (reseller) of Extreme, you might want to reach the partner portal and learning resources, the EDS - Wireless WiNG is a nice training to get aware of WiNG design concepts and good practices.
Also take a look here as you might find something interesting for you: https://www.extremenetworks.com/support/documentation/wing-5-x/

Regards,
Tomasz

(Edited)

Hayman Aliabdala

Great info ,yes know I'm home user ,I was at some office with Aruba AP and I get on my phone 866,that's why I like to get the same at home will check the links you send, thanks for the helpful info
Regards,
Hayman