cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Will MLAG ever be available on the S Series?

Will MLAG ever be available on the S Series?

Jon_P
New Contributor III
Is there any plan to make MLAG or a similar technology available for S Series devices in a future firmware release?
5 REPLIES 5

Bastian_Sprotte
Extreme Employee
hello,
S-Series support VSB which will also allow dual homed switches/server. The goal from MLAG is to have dual homed devices attached via LACP or static LAGs. As HAU updates will allow to make rolling software updates, no plans are to add MLAG in S-Series.

Jon,

No. The problem is, some software upgrades will always require a full system restart. Usually these are for major releases or functionality changes. Usually bug fixes within a release, HAU works fine. I have used it several times with LAGs across two bonded S4 cores. Never miss a packet. We are using 670V's at the ToR with MLAG back to each core.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a firmware version after which we should always be able to use HAU?

Jon, yes Extreme employee, we will check my Profile,

The VSB is an full distributed system and if an system task get in trouble, only that module will crash. The failover on the control plane allow to get still forwarding on the system. It is correct that HAU updates in the past was often not possible as Extreme Networks implemented Major Key Features which defines an different memory management and cause the full reset from the system. As we have confirmed from Product Management we will support HAU patches and releases for longer as before. This will ensure HAU can be used.

Product Management also clear define that MLAG is not an option for S-Series as i stated before.

GTM-P2G8KFN