Do we have a release date for the new version 10 firmware for the wireless appliances?
The target release date is December 18th. The current shipping controllers as well as the C4110 and C5110 will be supported with V10.01. However, neither the 2600 nor the 3600 Series APs will be supported with V10.01. V9.21 will be the last supported release of those legacy APs until they reach end-of-service life.
Thank you for the feedback.....
So no support for any of the 36xx series??
We have a few clients that is running more than 600 AP's of which 40% is still 36xx series AP's, the remaining 60% is a combo of 37xx and 38xx AP's. They will never be able to deploy the new 39xx series unless they make a huge investment.........
No, there will be no support for the 3600 Series. You can still run a mixed environment but your 3600 Series will have to be homed to a V9.21 controller. If you are using a centralized deployment your mobility domain can include V9.21 and V10.01 controllers ensuring transparent roaming across the mixed environment. Although it doesn't seem like it, removing support for older platforms is for the benefit of our customers, allowing us to move quicker to meet their growing needs for more bandwidth hungry applications as well as providing them more visibility and control over their network.
There are several usecases where wireless infructure nearly have to work 24x7 and even the ap exchange to a newer model would be challenging. Longterm support for the APs was one of the biggest selling aguments compared to other enterprise wireless competitors in the past. The new situation would cause some of our customers to think about there network strategy.
The idea to switch of unsupported new V10 features for the 36xx's like for the 26xx's in past would be a better alternative. This would add 4 years more lifetime for large scale 36xx's installations till they reach there well known EoL in 03/31/2020.
As Hartmut Sachse already pointed out, a main selling point for Enterasys was to have a long term support in contrast to some other major vendors. Therefore I really like to see some basic V10 support for AP36xx series access points. Switch of unsupported features on AP36xx devices like you currently already do (i.e.: Radio Management (11k) support for 37xx and 38xx only), but let them be compatible with current software.
So software version 10.01.01.0129 is now available. I have the support contract, I can request the licenses for my C4110 controllers but I cannot use them because of the AP36xx devices:
Legacy AP26XX, AP36XX, AP4102 Series access points are not supported with V10.01 or later, however, these legacy APs will continue to be supported in maintenance mode only with V9.21 until they reach End-of-Support.
The decision to drop AP36xx devices in V.10 is final, right?
- Upgrade the wifi controller pairs to V10
- Run the the 37xx, 38xx and 39xx with the controller
Next step: "Outsourcing" the management of AP36xx, i.e.:
- Convert the AP3610 to AP3630 using the standalone firmware
- Managing the standalone access points with SSH / CLI
- But still reusing the CAPWAP tunnel between the access points and the controller
Btw, will there be any V9 standalone software for AP3630?
Unfortunately I cannot download the standalone firmware for AP3610 (just for testing), as I only have a contract for the wifi controllers. Who can I contact to access the firmware?