WLAN 802.1x PEAP Authentication should work with first device only

• Idea
  • Updated 11 months ago
Is it possible the restrict and limit an sucessfull 802.1x PEAP (Username / Password) Authentication to the first device only within NAC Gateway?

During several customer projects such a feature would be very useful.

Regards
Photo of M.Nees

M.Nees, Embassador

• 9,414 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 49,036 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Do you mean one concurrent active client with this username/password or the first client that ever uses that username/password....
Photo of M.Nees

M.Nees, Embassador

Both szenarios are valid - if i have to choose between the two - one concurrent active client would more repesent customers needs.
Photo of M.Nees

M.Nees, Embassador

does nobody have a solution or maybe same requirements ?

i have several customer projects where this is a needed feature. But my recent state is that NAC Gateway have no feature that makes this possible.

If someone have same requirements, please post this! I hope if more customers requested this possibility enterasys/extreme will think about implementing this ...
Photo of Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

• 626 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You could do a Authenticated Registration portal, but it wouldn't be a .1x ssid.  But you could limit the user to have only one device registered. 
Photo of Michael Kirchner

Michael Kirchner

• 1,846 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Same request from me
Photo of Tony Dann

Tony Dann

• 62 Points
This is something we are needing, working in education we need to be able to limit kids to one device.
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 49,036 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Any update on this "function" ?

As far as my Google skills go I'm not able to find a solution for it using either ExtremeControl or Windows NPS.
Photo of M.Nees

M.Nees, Embassador

feature is still needed ....
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 39,516 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'll send this thread along to PLM for them to work on the feature request.
Photo of M.Nees

M.Nees, Embassador

Any feedback ?
Photo of Matthew Hum

Matthew Hum

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You can accomplish this by chaining FreeRADIUS servers. NAC would then send to an upstream FreeRADIUS server that uses the perl_rlm module to run a call back to the NAC DB to query for existing entries to then deny or proxy the RADIUS request.
If you are using a local DB, then enable the simultaneous-use variable and set it to 1, for only one system at a time. I believe you will need radius-accounting for this to work as well. 

Edit: This was originally written for wired, and I have removed the wired portion as it would not work for wireless. 
(Edited)
Photo of M.Nees

M.Nees, Embassador

Cool solution (but not useable normal customer environment)!

How many time do you spend to write/configure the perl_rlm module ? How do you realize the NAC DB query ?

Regards,
Matthias 
Photo of Matthew Hum

Matthew Hum

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I don't see why it wouldn't be usable in a customer environment.

it can't take that long. maybe an hour or two? depends on how good you are I guess. you can use the NAC API for the query.
Photo of Chacko

Chacko

• 1,206 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Matthias,

stupid question:
Wouldn't your requirement be satisfied with "configure netlogin ports X allowed-users <number>"?
Or did i misunderstand your need?

Best Regards
Chacko
Photo of M.Nees

M.Nees, Embassador

Sometimes  i have several clients on one port (= desktop switch). What i avoid is that a user is using his own username + pw (of windows) several times for several devices.

Limiting the number of clients per switch port has therefore negative effects and do not address my concern directly.

Regards