configure as 100 full - speedtest=20-25Mbps

Does anybody has same problem?

Try with EXOS 15.3.4.6 patch 1-14 and EXOS 15.3.1.4 patch 1-47

Thank you!
7 REPLIES 7

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hello Alexandr,

I cannot tell you what the Linksys switch does, but you can have different results because of different configuration methods:

1. Link speed can be configured by disabling auto-negotiation and specifying speed and duplex.
  2. Link speed can be configured by enabling auto-negotiation but restricting the advertised values for speed and duplex settings.
You can both of these methods on both EOS and EXOS based switches. I do not know what the Linksys switch does.

The easiest way to check what a device does regarding auto-negotiation is to connect it to an EOS switch and use the command "show port advertise". This will show you the local and the remote settings.

Br,
Erik

Jarek
New Contributor II
Probably Linksys didn't disable autoneg. even if you have disabled it in configuration.
( sorry SOHO is cheap  )

I know that we are on Extreme forum, but bellow a link that I think have a good explanation for that issue and what we should expect when we change speed and duplex.
(I understand if moderators delete this link )

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/17053-46.html

--
Jarek

PS. (to Extreme ) Maybe you can write similar description and add it to GTAC or documentation ?

Jarek
New Contributor II
We see even today some issues with cheap SOHO routers that customers have.
They work with simple unmanaged switch, but when you connect them to Extreme or other vendor box, then you can have a lot of fun...

--
Jarek

TL;DR version: speed is auto-detected even without auto-negotiation, duplex is not auto-detected without auto-negotiation. Thus the side with auto-negotiation uses the correct speed, but uses to half-duplex operation. The other side uses the hard-coded values.

Back in the 1990s, when auto-negotiation did not work properly with some vendor combinations, access ports in some networks were configured for 100/half-duplex to work with both auto-negotiating NICs and those with the correct fixed configuration.

Br,
Erik
GTM-P2G8KFN