cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X430-8p PoE problem with cameras

X430-8p PoE problem with cameras

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II
I have a X430-PoE switch running 16.2.1.6 EXOS. Customer reports that external CCTV cameras ocassionally freeze. The only thing that can help is disconnecting and re-connecting the faulted device to port. I cannot see any message in the log that could put some light what is the reason. No power budget is overrun, although it operates close to the limit (about 60W). I have set the threshold far beyong that limit.

Any thoughts ?

Regards, Robert
3 REPLIES 3

Jonghwa_Kim
New Contributor
Have you found any solutions? I also meet a same situation as you have. Could it be a Camera issue?

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II
Thank you very much for all suggestions, I'll check it out.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Trying to figure out what is going on with remote CCTV ip camera's can be a pain. One of the things we have noticed about ours is most of the time it has been an issue with the monitoring software and not the network. So the monitoring software where we will have 12 or 14 camera's coming into a app and being displayed in our NOC on a large screen one or two cameras will randomly freeze or stop responding and yet when you log directly into same camera it responds and there is a stream being supplied. After we figured that out it was pretty easy for the NOC to just reset the camera in the master display server and move on. We have also found that come CCTV camera are better than others. Some must be periodically reset. We thought the same as you so we replaced the POE port with a dedicated power supply and they still would lock up periodically. We just avoid using those in critical locations or make sure the are on a POE port so we can trigger a remote reset by diabling and enabling power to the camera... I know this may not help you solve your problem but these are our experiences using various brands of IP CCTV POE cameras over the last 6 or 7 years. we have about 25 or 30 scattered out all over our metro network in key unmanned nodes..

One exception is the cable has to be within the distance limit and all 8 wires are used so your crimps/punch down on the ends has to be good.

We have yet to have any of them be traced back to a network power or switch problem.
GTM-P2G8KFN