cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X440-G2 10GB Uplink - bad snare if you miss 10GB LIC

X440-G2 10GB Uplink - bad snare if you miss 10GB LIC

M_Nees
Contributor III
Today we have a very painful and time-killing problem. Be careful NOT to run into the same issue.

We using X440-G2 with 10GB GBICs on the Uplink ports (51-52 - with Dual 10GB LIC) linked to 2x X670-G2 also with 10GB GBICs.
Some of my collegues configured the X440-G2 BUT do NOT install the 10GB License.

If you connect that Switch to the CORE you does not get a link. But light comes out of the fibre cable and seemed to be OK. If you check transceiver information on CORE switch you can see that you have excellent signal - but the link on the CORE Switch does not come up! Damn!

If you have a look at the X440-G2 the log tells you that the 10GB Port have a 10GB GBIC but you do NOT have a 10GB license, so the speed is reduced to 1GB!
Does this make sense ?

The result is that the 10GBIC sending out a signal but a 10GB GBIC cannot never run in 1GB mode. So there will never ever be a link. Talking with some other network guys telling me that a very usual mistake a lot of people running into this pitfall.

From my point of view it was better if the developers disable the 10GB GBIC completely to avoid such tricky problems!

Regards,
Matthias
17 REPLIES 17

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Matthias, I was asked to test this out in a demo build. For this test, I installed a mix of 1G and 10G optics with a Dual-port 10G license. To address your concerns, the development team has added a "$" flag to show the 10G optic is unlicensed, which you can see on port 27 below. Thanks for your feedback!

(Demo) X440G2-24t-10G4.2 # show port 25-28 conf no
Port Configuration
Port Virtual Port Link Auto Speed Duplex Flow Load Media
router State State Neg Cfg Actual Cfg Actual Cntrl Master Pri Red
================================================================================
25 VR-Default E R ON AUTO AUTO SX
26 VR-Default E R OFF 10000 FULL SF+_SR
27 VR-Default E R ON AUTO AUTO $SF+_SR
28 VR-Default E R ON AUTO AUTO SX
================================================================================
> indicates Port Display Name truncated past 8 characters
Link State: A-Active, R-Ready, NP-Port Not Present, L-Loopback
Port State: D-Disabled, E-Enabled, L-License Disabled
Media: !-Unsupported, $-Unlicensed
Media Red: * - use "show port info detail" for redundant media type
Flow Cntrl: Shows link partner's abilities. NONE if Auto Neg is OFF

(Demo) X440G2-24t-10G4.3 # show port 27 info det
Port: 27
Virtual-router: VR-Default
Type: SF+_SR (Unlicensed)
Random Early drop: Unsupported
Admin state: Enabled with auto-speed sensing auto-duplex
Link State: Ready
Link Ups: 0 Last: --
Link Downs: 0 Last: --

M_Nees
Contributor III
I like this !!
Thanks for accepting my feedback.

M_Nees
Contributor III
Hi Drew,

1 month after our discussion, can you tell me something about how this issue could be improved or what the PLM think about that ??

Regards,
Matthias

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Matthias,
I actually did some followup work on this yesterday and didn't get a chance to respond.

A CR has been created to enhance the show ports configuration command to indicate that an optic is not licensed. This improvement is currently set to make its way into EXOS 22.2+.
GTM-P2G8KFN