cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X450e 10- Gigabit Ethernet

X450e 10- Gigabit Ethernet

Andrew_Schulz
New Contributor
I'm looking to add a new SAN to my network and the SAN has 10gbe interfaces. Can I use the dual 10- Gigabit Ethernet ports on the x450e for this purpose? Or are these only used for redundant uplinks?

Also, if I can use these ports for my purposes, what copper SFP is recommended?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Andrew_Schulz
New Contributor
Thanks Drew and Stephane... I did find a VIM online, however, I bought these switches used and the expansion module is more than what I paid for the switch. I'm now considering optical, I can order the SAN with optical interfaces, is there a preferred optical 10gb SFP for the x450e.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I don't know why these modules are so expensive online... especially to be end of sale from us.
The XGM2-2sf is a two port 10G SFP+ card (unpopulated). You would need the SFP+ optics to go with it. This card's p/n is 16114.

You may want to check with an Extreme Networks reseller in your area to see if there's anything they can do.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Stephane is correct - you'll need the XGM2-2bt (p/n: 16115). This option card has two 10GBASE-T ports and is compatible with Summit X350 and Summit X450a/e. Not sure the best place to purchase it now that the product is End-of-Sale. I can't imagine that a Copper SFP+ would work if you found one due to the excess power consumption they require.

Andrew_Schulz
New Contributor
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I don't have a VIM for this device and it sounds like the SFP route is not supported. I'll see if I can find a VIM to meet this requirement.
GTM-P2G8KFN