cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x460 empty port blinking amber

x460 empty port blinking amber

Stanley_Riley_J
New Contributor II
I have an x460-48P that someone reported a port that went down. So I investigated and saw on the switch CLI that the port was enabled and ready, but showed nothing connected to it, even though there was a cable plugged in. So we disconnected the cable from the switch and now the port is blinking amber. What does this mean? I've never noticed an EMPTY port blinking amber before.

Thanks,
Stan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
We are installing 460-g2s (15.6.3.1 P 1-3) for one of our customers and have found about 40 or 50 ports that flash amber show delivering power and ready.

We are able to correct this issue but unplugging the patch cable waiting about 10 seconds for the light to go out and then patching the cable back in.

119c308847bf4ce8893f94367a031da0_RackMultipart20151111-3805-1vjr66u-amber_led_inline.png

It is sort of a minor issue other than the fact that you have to be in the closet to identify or correct the problem.

Thanks

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
We are installing 460-g2s (15.6.3.1 P 1-3) for one of our customers and have found about 40 or 50 ports that flash amber show delivering power and ready.

We are able to correct this issue but unplugging the patch cable waiting about 10 seconds for the light to go out and then patching the cable back in.

119c308847bf4ce8893f94367a031da0_RackMultipart20151111-3805-1vjr66u-amber_led_inline.png

It is sort of a minor issue other than the fact that you have to be in the closet to identify or correct the problem.

Thanks

No,

I tried that because when I first observed the behavior I thought it was a hardware fault. Somewhere perhaps in this thread I caught on to the fact that this was different. The next time I find a port in this state I will try disabling inline-power for 5 or 10 seconds to see if that does the job.

The biggest issue to me is the difficulty of seeing this remotely.

Thanks

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
David, does
code:
reset inline-power port 
help with these occurrences?

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
Hi Stan,

This looks like it may match up with an issue that I actually have a case on right now, and I am working with engineering towards a permanent resolution.

If the PoE controller in the switch is overloaded, it can cause a voltage dip on the input, leading to the PoE controller to shutdown as a protection mechanism.

Unfortunately, the only way to recover at this point is to reboot the switch.

You can find the GTAC Knowledge article for this at the link below:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/When-the-PoE-budget-is-exceeded-the-swit...

As I receive further information on this, the Knowledge article will be updated appropriately.

Let me know if there are any questions. If the symptoms from the Knowledge article don't match up with what you see, it may be best to open a case with GTAC to ensure that there isn't something else causing this.

-Brandon
GTM-P2G8KFN