X620-16x firmware upgrade error - TFTP error file too large for TFTP protocol

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
I have been trying to upgrade one switch with summitx-21.1.3.7.xos that came out on February 1st and I am having issues.  I have 2 of these and one upgraded with no problem.  The other will not upgrade via Netsight/Extreme management center and says device busy, please wait.  While trying one TFTP method, I get the error "file could no be unwrapped".  When I tried the command "download image <ip address> <image_name.xos> primary"  I get the error file too large for TFTP protocol.  What other method can I use?  I cannot use USB, I have tried that.  There is no "memorycard" command on the version running on the switch.  
Photo of Phillip Hood

Phillip Hood

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Brian Austin

Brian Austin, Employee

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hello Phillip,

have you made sure you have enough room on your switch to add the file from what I can see the file is 68.8 Mb in size.
Photo of Phillip Hood

Phillip Hood

I am very new to EXOS.  Could you point me to the command to see how much space is left or how I can remove an old firmware? 
Photo of Brian Austin

Brian Austin, Employee

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Phillip you can check how much space is being used and how much is available by using the command:

ls

as far as removing unneeded files from here you can use the command:

rm <name of file>

kind regards,

Brian Austin
Photo of Phillip Hood

Phillip Hood

Thanks.  It says that I have used 5831 and 175745 available, so available space for the image is not the problem.  I may have to create another case with Extreme to figure this out.  
Photo of Dave Hammers

Dave Hammers, Dir SW Engineering

• 3,502 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Some suggestions to try:

For USB:
download url file:///usr/local/ext/summitx-21.1.3....

For TFTP:
download url tftp://<ip>/summitx-21.1.3.7.xos
Photo of Phillip Hood

Phillip Hood

I have tried the TFTP upgrade method as I stated in my problem above.  It errors out with file could not be unwrapped.  Even Netsight will not upgrade it and does not give any error messages back except for "Device Busy, Please Wait".
Photo of Phillip Hood

Phillip Hood

Nevermind.  I figured out that it is a TFTP server problem.  I was using Solarwinds TFTP server.  Downloaded another one and it worked. YAY!
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 38,338 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I've always been a fan of TFTPD32 (and 64).
http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

Glad you got it working!
Photo of Phillip Hood

Phillip Hood

I found one called WinAgents TFTP. It did what I wanted it to do!
Photo of Erik Auerswald

Erik Auerswald, Embassador

• 12,854 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I am using TFTPD32 / TFTPD64 on Windows, and TFTP-HPA on GNU/Linux (this is package tftpd-hpa on Debian and Ubuntu).
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 38,338 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
tftpd-hpa is what I use in our lab for everyone. Worked great once I figured out how to keep it happy with symbolic links :)