X650-24x reverse airflow

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Hi, I have an extreme X650-24x and for convenience I would like to reverse the airflow direction of the switch to have it facing the back of the rack.I know the newer X670 has this configurable feature, but the X650 does not. I have looked at the profile of the X670 and it seems pretty much identical to the X650 (3 rear fans in the middle). I was thinking of taking apart the fan module in my X650 and reversing the direction of the fans, would this be a good idea or would it cause issues with airflow through the switch?

When you reverse the airflow in an X670, does this also reverse the PSU airflow direction?

Thanks.
Photo of Michael Goodliffe

Michael Goodliffe

• 670 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Stephane Grosjean

Stephane Grosjean

• 762 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi,

In my opinion, it could cause issue to the switch. First of all, you need both Fans and PSU to blow in the same direction. Also, there're air intake on the sides of the x650, if I remember well. They are here for a reason. That may be an issue if the airflow is reversed, as it has not been engineered that way. You have risk that some hot air get "stuck" inside the switch and accumulate, leading to some issues.

On a x670, you have to use Fan and PSU with the same airflow direction. You can change them as needed, because the switch has been engineered to work properly in FB and BF.
Photo of Michael Goodliffe

Michael Goodliffe

• 670 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the reply. What if I was to reverse the fan in the PSU too?

I will try and find an image of the inside to see if there is anything that would restrict the reverse flow.

I might give it a run in a spare switch I have and monitor the temperature and airflow through the switch and compare it to normal operation.