Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMC remote backup

XMC remote backup

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

does anyone of you write the XMC backup (XMC as a virtual appliance) to a remote share that is included in the directory system of the XMC?

However, this does not work with 8.1.4.40.

I assume the cifs-utils are missing in the XMC.

Does anyone have a working solution?

Best regards
Stephan

Regards Stephan
4 REPLIES 4

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello,

if you need to know which SMB version is used for connection to the Windows Server you can check this starting with Windows Server version 2012 via Power Shell.

With
"Get-Smbsession" you will receive current sessions.

With
"Get-Smbsession -sessionid | select-object -property * " you will receive the connection details.

Best regards
Stephan

Regards Stephan

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello,

one further hint. It seem mounting operations not work with an DNS-name instead of the remote-server-ip.

I found some hints in the internet that this behavior is normal for some Linux distributions.

Best regards
Stephan
Regards Stephan

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello Ryan,
thank you for your answer. You have motivated me to continue testing and now I have a working config.

I added the following line to "/etc/fstab":

/// /media/ cifs username=,password=,sec=ntlm,vers=3.0 0 0"vers" can be 1.0,2.0 or 3.0 and fits the used SMB version.

I am using an Windows 2012 Server (without R2). Tested with an Windows admin user and an normal user, both works.

For testing after I edited "fstab" I used "mountall". After an restart the share was connected automatically.

Best regards
Stephan
Regards Stephan

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee
These can be a pain to try and get working. We have had customers in the past that were able to get these set up, but it has historically been difficult to get these configured.

Once configured they can be used as a backup directory to perform a remote backup.

Cifs-utils was found to be missing a while ago, I don't believe we've put it into the software as we've been able to bypass by using mountall instead of mount -a.

When I set this up I try an unsecured remote share first just to see if I can get the mount functional.

Enter the parameter into the fstab file, issue the mountall command then run the command:

dmesg | tail

This will show you the error message that was thrown for the mount command. I usually take that error message right to google and see if I can determine the issue.

Thanks
-Ryan

GTM-P2G8KFN