XOS Firmware Upgrade clears configuration???

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

We've run into this a couple of times now at different locations.

We're a legacy Red partner and have begun some installs of Purple switches.  We're running into an issue that I'm hoping someone can help with. 

When upgrading the firmware on out of the box Summit X460-G2s we noticed that after the reboot, all the configuration information was gone.  Stacking, VLANs, IP addresses, etc.  At the time, we attributed it to the initial firmware on the switches; the CLI prompt showed "Software Upgrade Required".

Today, one of our team went to a site where we had previously installed a X670-G2, and did a firmware downgrade - 15.7.x to 15.6.x.  When the switch rebooted with the downgraded firmware, the configuration was gone.

Is this normal behavior?  If so, then how do you upgrade the FW remotely if the config has to be reapplied?



Photo of Bill Handler

Bill Handler

  • 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Bill Stritzinger

Bill Stritzinger, Alum

  • 6,036 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi All,

This is a known issue on X460-G2 (Including the X670-48-4q) out of the box... here is the problem and the solution.  While the G2 was produced before the GA code was ready, it currently ships with XOS (or close to that..) which is PRE-GA code. I have found through some troubleshooting that if you configure the switch without updating, any changes saved (including stacking) are erased on the update and a reboot with GA code installed.

YOU MUST UPDATE THE SWITCH to GA CODE - Either 15.6.1.x or 15.7.x prior to configuration, or if you have already done configuration before update run the command "save config as-script <name>" and save off the configuration to a text file. If you do that you can at least load the new code (re-enable stacking manually if necessary) and load the script to reconfigure the switch and hit save ("load script <name>"  from saved above).   I answered another question here on the Hub regarding this and in that case the POE did not work correctly. I can only assume that this is not a bug and that engineering designed it that way so as to force users to update to the latest GA code, I will check with my sources and confirm. 

I am working with PLM and engineering to update the code at the factory so at least we don't have to continue to see this in the field.

I am sorry for the trouble you are experiencing.