cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XOS ping with record-route

XOS ping with record-route

M_Nees
Contributor III
What is the use-case for an ping the option "with record-route" ? How can use it reasonable? Command line reference do not tell anything deeper.

If i try it, i will get following output:

Slot-1 cnsha1sw001.24 # ping vr "VR-Default" continuous 10.0.8.44 from 10.64.4.1 with record-route

Ping(ICMP) 10.0.8.44: continuous packets, 8 data bytes, interval 1 second(s).
16 bytes from 10.0.8.44: icmp_seq=0 ttl=118 time=195 ms
RR:

16 bytes from 10.0.8.44: icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 time=190 ms
(same route)
16 bytes from 10.0.8.44: icmp_seq=2 ttl=118 time=185 ms
(same route)
16 bytes from 10.0.8.44: icmp_seq=3 ttl=118 time=189 ms
(same route)
^C
--- 10.0.8.44 ping statistics ---

Regards

10 REPLIES 10

Christina_M
Extreme Employee
Matthias,

I just wanted to let you know that, per your feedback, we updated the information about the "record-route" option in the PING command's usage guidelines. You can see the updated content here:

http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/exos_commands/EXOS_All/EXOS_Commands_All/r_ping.shtml

Thanks for your feedback!

Prashanth_KG
Extreme Employee
Hi Matthias,

I understand your point of view. We really appreciate your feedback. I will check internally on how to add the note as you suggested in the command reference guide!

M_Nees
Contributor III
Whithout your last comment i do not know (and i guess many other user too) that this option have to enable on every router in the path. But this is a basically need that the ping command tell us what we want to see!.

So from my point of view in the CLI Ref a link should be set at the ping option "record-route" to the command "enable ip-option record-route".

Regards

Prashanth_KG
Extreme Employee
Hi Matthias,

Thank your the input. enabling the record-route (IP option 7) is a feature by itself. So, in the switch, it can be enabled all the time by the command, enable ip-option record-route. under this command, we have an explanation about this.

Snippet from the command reference guide under the command enable ip-option record-route:

Usage Guidelines
IP option record-route (IP option 7) means that each router along the path should add its IP address
into the options data.
Enabling means that the switch adds itself into the IP options header when the record route IP option is
enabled in a packet that is transiting the switch.

Under the ping command, it is just an additional parameter which can be used.
So, I believe command reference guide explains this option well and the article explains its application. Hope this helps!
GTM-P2G8KFN