Solved

effects of pre-provision status on AP

• 20 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

update docs specify the following -

Pre-provisioned Device State: Some customers pre-provision a network device and ship it to the operational site. When on-boarded, the existing ExtremeCloud IQ status indicates Active Alarms, which is misleading. The latest release indicates the status as Pre-provisioned.

What exactly does this do?

Does putting an AP in “pre-provisioned” state make ECIQ ignore alarms?

If the AP comes online after being pre-provisioned, does it still update firmware, apply the network policy settings, and broadcast SSID etc?

While I like the idea of this feature, it’s also a bit awkward, as if the device comes online, the cloud icon remains purple (as opposed to green for online). Am I missing anything as to the use of this feature?

icon

Best answer by Sam Pirok 6 November 2020, 23:49

Thanks again for your patience, I was able to confirm that the APs will get a configuration update pushed to them when they connect to XIQ even if they are in a pre-provisioned state. 

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi John, could you share the link to where you are reading that information? I’d like to look in to that further for you but it would help to have the source. 

Userlevel 2

On the following page under - April 15,2020 Release

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/reference/historical-enhancements.htm?Highlight=pre-provision

Userlevel 2

Curious if you were able to find any additional details?

Userlevel 5

Hi John, sorry for the long wait here. I was able to confirm that placing a device in a pre-provisioned state is similar to placing a device in a maintenance window, which would cause any alarms from that AP to be ignored. I’m still waiting to hear back on whether or not an AP in a pre-provisioned state would get a configuration update pushed to it as soon as it connects to XIQ, I’ll let you know as soon as I find out more on that point. 

Userlevel 5

Thanks again for your patience, I was able to confirm that the APs will get a configuration update pushed to them when they connect to XIQ even if they are in a pre-provisioned state.