Question

Version 10.0.10.0 (10.0r10)

• 2 December 2020
  • 22 replies

Hi Community!

I hope someone can help here, so after a year of getting fed up of “High Interference” alerts, Extreme have released the lastest firmware update to 10.0r10! and finally it works!!.

But now it’s broken the HiveOS, we can no longer initiate Delta updates...The following error occurs -

“Cannot perform configuration update on device “Insert name here”. The device HOS version 10.0.10.0 is higher than the maximum supported version 10.0.9.2.Please first upgrade device to the supported OS version and then try configuration update.”

Will the Hive OS be update soon?

The tech article from GTAC says update NOW! https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000059684

Many thanks

-M

22 replies

I have AP650X devices and loaded 10.0r10 on a few. Wow is it riddled with problems. Devices keep randomly disconnecting from it and bouncing off onto an AP that isn’t running it but then coming back for 45-60 seconds and repeating this process throughout the day. Same AP that successfully ran 10.0r9b and 10.2r3. I have switched back to 10.0r9b. I have static channels and it randomly picks a new channel every once in a while. It even chose channel 4 once. DO NOT UPDATE TO IT!! I don’t know what it’s supposed to fix because there is no documentation on it but it’s a lemon in it’s first revision so far as I can tell. 

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.  YOU AIN’T KIDDING! It’s a horrible firmware edition.

Today, our client health score dropped off a cliff down to 13/100! I've never seen it so low.  We’ve had so many angry staff today.  Luckily, it was a small test base and I've rolled it back to “r9b”.

It was supposed to fix the “High Interference” bug, it does...but it drops clients very quickly and classifies our known AP’s as rogue clients!!

Take care

-M

If it was supposed to fix the high interference bug it didn’t do a very good job because my APs that I didn’t update that I really haven’t had many issues with lately were annoying AF today because of all the random bouncing around from the APs that are in my office area that I tried out the 10.0r10 on that sought out a new connection to the much “poorer” connection in the warehouse. I guess we will just have to wait on 10.0r10a. I’ve been waiting for all sorts of reasons to update from 10.0r8a in my warehouse but 10.0r9b made double log entries for my 802.11a/b/g devices. 

Well, if Extreme read these comments and threads, they need to pull this revision ASAP! It will cause many headaches for their customers.

Especially when now it is the recommended firmware level in the Update Device.

Userlevel 2

OMG and I was waiting so badly for this version..

@Sam Pirok Are you guys aware of that?

Userlevel 5

Thanks for the mention Daniel! It looks like we have one case open about this issue, we sent a ticket to engineering to get their input on 12/2 and we are currently waiting to hear back from them. I’ll do my best to check in on the status of that case and keep you all updated as we progress. 

Thanks for the mention Daniel! It looks like we have one case open about this issue, we sent a ticket to engineering to get their input on 12/2 and we are currently waiting to hear back from them. I’ll do my best to check in on the status of that case and keep you all updated as we progress. 

Hi there, following this thread as we started having some disconnect issues as well.

Are there release notes for 10.0.r10?

Userlevel 5

Hi there, the 10.0r10 release notes can be found here: https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/documentation/10.0r10_IQEngine_ReleaseNotes.pdf

I also checked up on the case I mentioned earlier, just to give you all a status update, we are still waiting to hear back from our engineers but the case was being actively looked at as of this morning. I’ll keep an eye on the case and let you all know when we have more information. 

I have a new ticket in with support, but this update has been a nightmare. Intermittent disconnects/reconnects on basically all devices.

Userlevel 5

Just a quick update here, we have filed a bug report for 10.0r10 and are currently recommending 10.0r9b until we can resolve the issues with 10.0r10. 

I can confirm that we also have this issue on both AP230 and AP630. People get frequently disconnected, and are unable to reconnect within the next 2-3 minutes. We downgraded to 10.0r9b to solve this. This update should be removed from the portal until this is corrected

Issue was reported by users with both AC and AX intel wifi cards.

Userlevel 2

I’m thankful I just found this thread. I was looking into the common issue of multiple firmware releases for the AP650, because I see 10.2.r3 and 10.0.r10; yet they are pushing the 10.2.r3 (which we know for the AP650’s it’s been classified as “bricking/loop” firmware) 

Well, looks like I won’t be touching these. Where’s the QA/QC for these firmware releases? :triumph:

I’m thankful I just found this thread. I was looking into the common issue of multiple firmware releases for the AP650, because I see 10.2.r3 and 10.0.r10; yet they are pushing the 10.2.r3 (which we know for the AP650’s it’s been classified as “bricking/loop” firmware) 

Well, looks like I won’t be touching these. Where’s the QA/QC for these firmware releases? :triumph:

Can you link more info on the 10.2r3 issues with the AP650s if you have it?

Userlevel 2

@javabomberman I am 100% throwing out an assumption about the latest 10.2r3 firmware. However, I personally haven’t tried nor will I be testing 10.2r3. This mainly stems from the 10.1r5 firmware back in June 2020. Firmware 10.1 and 10.2 are listed as “working” for the AP650’s, but when I tested 10.1r5, the AP’s would be stuck in a reboot loop. Not only that, but those firmware updates have a challenging time reverting to backup firmware if there’s an issue. For some reason, Extreme continues to release two different IQEngine Firmware packages for the AP650’s. 

Here is the previous message from GTAC from June 2020 regarding 10.1r5:

“I am able to update you that IQEngine 10.1r5 is not currently considered to be stable for the AP650. We will be removing it as the default firmware version for that model. The current recommended firmware for the AP650 is 10.0r8a.”

I can’t provide any insight for the latest version, but from my past experience and the comments from others in this thread; it sure doesn’t look pretty.

@kevin.piazza 

Thanks for this info, very good to know. In our latest debacle with 10.0.10.0, here’s what we received from GTAC just last week, for transparency:

“Hello,

It appears the release may cause a certain service on the APs to stop and start repeatedly. Engineering is aware of the issue and will also be updating XIQ to list 10.0r9b as the latest/ recommended.”

Soon after this, instead of 10.0r9b being recommended, all AP630s and AP650s are now recommended to use 10.2r3.

I have been testing this release on a handful of AP630s and AP650s with seemingly no similar issues, but considering both our experiences I’m more and more wary of following GTAC’s “recommended” releases, which is troubling to say the least.

Userlevel 2

@kevin.piazza

Thanks for this info, very good to know. In our latest debacle with 10.0.10.0, here’s what we received from GTAC just last week, for transparency:

“Hello,

It appears the release may cause a certain service on the APs to stop and start repeatedly. Engineering is aware of the issue and will also be updating XIQ to list 10.0r9b as the latest/ recommended.”

Soon after this, instead of 10.0r9b being recommended, all AP630s and AP650s are now recommended to use 10.2r3.

I have been testing this release on a handful of AP630s and AP650s with seemingly no similar issues, but considering both our experiences I’m more and more wary of following GTAC’s “recommended” releases, which is troubling to say the least.

Thank you for sharing this information, and I’m happy to hear that 10.2r3 is working; time will tell :laughing:. If you’re willing, try to perform a rollback to the previous firmware to see if they’ve fixed that issue. Unfortunately, I’ve lost my spare AP650 (had to install it in a classroom), so testing isn’t as easy as it once was for me. Needing to pull out a ladder and perform AP resets isn’t something I really want to do. Until I hear from other people that the current release is stable, then I can push the update. Thanks again for the info!

@kevin.piazza 

I was able to rollback one of the AP650s from 10.2r3 to 10.0r9b (we were running 10.0r9b stable for a couple months previously) and it seems to have worked normally. 

Userlevel 2

@kevin.piazza

I was able to rollback one of the AP650s from 10.2r3 to 10.0r9b (we were running 10.0r9b stable for a couple months previously) and it seems to have worked normally. 

Woohoo! They fixed it :laughing: . I’ll give it a couple weeks to see if you’ve encountered anything funky. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to try the rollback. 🍻

Has anyone tried 10.0r10a yet?

I have it on a few APs but our campus is mostly closed so I don’t have much data to go by.

Thanks

Userlevel 3

Where are you finding 10.0r10a ? I see the release notes, but Can’t find it on the downloads page, and it’s not live in my ECIQ instance.

Hi John

We’re on ECIQ Pilot and when I select “Update to specific verson” for the AP230 it is at the very bottom of the list.

“Update to latest version” shows 10.0r9b.