Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

AP Groups

Userlevel 2
My goal here is to get consolidated wireless stats for a building: the library. The library has two floors, and the access points are broadcasting I think 3 or so SSIDs. The specific information I want is guest usage. The problem I'm running into is that guests can access two of these SSIDs: Guest and LibraryWiFi. LibraryWiFi is only in the library, Guest is across my entire (geographically dispersed) network. I've found the AP group option, but it seems that I can't just logically group the APs for management/statistical purposes. Due to the multiple floors of the library, I do not want to add them to a client balancing or radio preference group. It seems if I did that there would be service degradation. So, how can I collect stats for the library? Is there a passive group option that would not apply any configuration or operational change to the APs? Danke.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
If I unterstand you correctly you like to have a summary statistic for only the APs which are in the library building and include only the data for the SSID GuestWifi and LibraryWiFi
What should the statistic include - are you only interested in rx/tx bytes or also other data.

Could you please tell me what kind of authentication/encryption is used on this 2 SSIDs.
Userlevel 2
These SSIDs are for guest use, so they only have a splash page, no authentication or encryption. I'm only interested in the number of clients over time. I could probably piece this together, but it would mean running multiple reports, compiling the information, then sending it to interested parties.
Userlevel 7
I don't see a way to do it only with the controller reports as "clients / VNS" only show one WLAN service/SSID at a time.

Do you have Netsight/EMC by any chance - might be that it could be done with a custom report.
Userlevel 2
I do have EMC. The custom report option is very limited from what I can tell. But, that's why I'm asking...
Userlevel 7
I'd give it a try tomorrow and see whether I'd come up with a report that works for you - do you have a advanced license (NMS-ADV-xxx) as that allows to enable more report options within connect.

Userlevel 2
Negative. I have an NMS-XX license.
Yuri gave me a trick for this if you have oneview.

Hi Jeremy , for the first request I will open feature request so PLM will take care of this. For the second - I can tell you a small trick so you can use it right now 🙂
So , from NMS console, in the menu find Wireless Manager. Open it . There you can make 'AP groups'. Those groups will be available in OneView reports . I do hope that whole Wireless Manager functionality eventually will move over to OneView, so it will be a bit more intuitive.
Thank you for the suggestions
Yury

I am assuming this is what you mean.

Userlevel 7
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

I've also thought about the idea of AP groups but the thing is that Terren likes to have ....clients over time for APs X+Y+Z that include SSID1+2 but exclude SSID3.

In the example above the requirement for AP X+Y+Z is met but it will include clients from all SSIDs on this AP group instead of only SSID1+2.
Userlevel 2
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

That's close, but I'm really looking more for what Ronald has specified. Plus, it seems that putting APs in groups enables a functionality that I don't necessarily want to enable.

All I'm looking to do is run the SSID query, on two SSIDs on a group of APs. EDIT: Should've tried that before I responded. This is the group functionality that I want, too bad it's not in Netsight... So, I've got the group of APs I want, I just can't get the statistic I want. If there was a way to group SSIDs and apply that to the AP group for the statistic, that would be great.