Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Job scheduled with PING to...

Hi,
I would create a scheduled job that ping a particular port and give me an alarm if the pc connected at this port do not respond

15 replies

You could simply add the PC as device using Ping and easily get an alarm if the device goes down.

Is that what you are looking for?
Userlevel 7
David Coglianese wrote:

You could simply add the PC as device using Ping and easily get an alarm if the device goes down.

Good point but be aware that then the PC counts as a device and uses a device license from the XMC device pool.
David Coglianese wrote:

That is a good point Ron.

I deal with a lot of K12 who all have the unlimited bundle and didn't even think of that.
Userlevel 5
David Coglianese wrote:

Hmm,

I want K12 here in Germany, too. Then I see more unlimited bundles and I do not have to worry about the licenses anymore 😉.

Stephan
good idea but I receive any problem with SNMP time out Contact lost!!!
I try to modify the snmp time out value?
In all device I can do it but not in this device type
Visconti wrote:

You would want to discover the device using ping NOT SNMP.
Userlevel 7
Visconti wrote:

Just to make sure.... that has nothing to do with SNMP - XMC polls the end-device via ping.

If you add the device (PC) you choose "ping only" in the profile section instead of SNMP profile.

If the PC is disconnected/shutdown you'll get a alarm.

Visconti wrote:

Sorry but I am a beginner...can say me how can I discover with ping?

[/code]
Visconti wrote:

Ah okkk!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Visconti wrote:

I think I've found a bug.... if you add the device as mentioned above with profile ping only the poll type is set to SNMP and then it doesn't work.

Workaround > right click the device > device > configure device > set the poll type to ping > save

example with wron g poll type....

Userlevel 4
How about an EXOS TCL script scheduled, so the XMC would log in to the switch, perform ping or show fdb or anything else and by parsing the output ($CLI.OUT variable) you could see what's going on...?
From EXOS side you could play with UPM scripts and EMS-based event trigger so once a port is down (or else) you would take care.
Or you can do that without any need for proactive action - an edge switch should syslog its events, and with XMC alarms you can wait for appropriate event showing port X is down so the alarm goes up.
Buiosu wrote:

How about an EXOS TCL script scheduled, so the XMC would log in to the switch, perform ping or show fdb or anything else and by parsing the output ($CLI.OUT variable) you could see what's going on...?
From EXOS side you could play with UPM scripts and EMS-based event trigger so once a port is down (or else) you would take care.
Or you can do that without any need for proactive action - an edge switch should syslog its events, and with XMC alarms you can wait for appropriate event showing port X is down so the alarm goes up.

I have 12 switch B5 series and 2 x450 so I need 2 CLI type?
Buiosu wrote:

can you explane me how can I do this ?
It's very interessant but I am a beginner..
I must use CLI ?
Userlevel 4
Buiosu wrote:

In the topic and in categories I didn't see EOS, sorry. With B5 I don't believe TCL type scripting is possible. 😞
I think David's option to add a device to XMC with "ping only" poll type sounds good but it consumes your license so it's not scalable.
Userlevel 5
Hello Visconti,

if you want to protect you XMC licenses you can write a XMC script. Following setup:
  1. Ping Device (IP). Does not have to be a switch configured in XMC!
  2. Parse the result of the ping
  3. If the ping fails create an syslog entry (you can use the little program "logger" available on XMC on Linux platforms.
  4. Set an alarm (with the XMC alarm manager)
Best regards
Stephan