Netsight don't report a defect fan of a X670

Userlevel 4
Netsight don't report a defect fan of a X670 (firmware 16.1.2.14)

In the log of the switch I noticed a defect fan.

If I query the switch with the MIB tools I see that all fans are operational true.

But log file:

Switch, Code 5: Fan tray 3, fan #5, has failed. RPM (0) is out of operating range which is at or above 2000.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Hello Johan.

if SNMP shows operational then Netsight will show no error. The switch should send a trap/notification to NetSight and then Netsight would see the Fan problem.
This could be a short problem on that fan, does show fans show fan #5 also at 0 rpm ?
If it is, and snmp reports fan status good there is a mismatch between snmp and real status and it should be fixed in EXOS. (maybe already fixed in newer version?)
Userlevel 4
OscarK wrote:

Hello Johan.

if SNMP shows operational then Netsight will show no error. The switch should send a trap/notification to NetSight and then Netsight would see the Fan problem.
This could be a short problem on that fan, does show fans show fan #5 also at 0 rpm ?
If it is, and snmp reports fan status good there is a mismatch between snmp and real status and it should be fixed in EXOS. (maybe already fixed in newer version?)

Hello Oscar,

Yes, fan #5 show 0 rpm. But I checked the traps Netsight received and there was no trap send by the switch
Userlevel 6
OscarK wrote:

Hello Johan.

Hello Johan,

there are quite some known issue's with fan traps not being send, I wonder if you upgrade to the lastest EXOS version if it does report the right status ?
Userlevel 4
OscarK wrote:

Hello Johan.

It running on the latest firmware (16.1.2.14) or is there an other one?
Userlevel 6
OscarK wrote:

Hello Johan.

There is already 16.1.4.2-patch1-3 and 16.2.1, but I did not find any known issue's about fan problems in there related to X670.
You can create a case to have this investigated more.
Userlevel 4
OscarK wrote:

Hello Johan.

Oscar, thanks.
Userlevel 4
OscarK wrote:

Hello Johan.

I see that for the X670-G2 there is also a 22.1

I will upgrade the switch with this firmware