Setup traps and inform messages using NetSight Console.
These first 3 steps are required for snmpv1/v2c traps. SNMPv3 traps and Informs will require additional setup and will be outlined below.
1. Right click on the device from the Device Tree and select Trap Receiver Configuration menu pick.
2. In the upper portion of the screen (Trap Receiver Configuration) make sure the IP address is that of the NetSight server, Type is Trap and the Trap Credential is the one used by NetSight to model the device.
3. Click the Apply to All Devices button. The bottom portion of the screen (Trap Receivers on Devices) should now show that # of receivers increased by 1 and that the new information is set.
Repeat this procedure for each individual device. Note that this tool can also be run against multiple devices or groups of devices. Just select each device using
SNMPv3 traps: If you are using SNMPv3 then you will also need to perform the following (after the above precedure is followed):
1. Change to the snmptrapd tab.
2. Highlight the switch IP row in the upper window (Credential Table) and then click on the Get EgineID button.
3. Make sure that the EngineID field is now populated. Click on the Add To File button.
4. Scroll to the last line in the bottom window (snmptrapd.conf Text) and make sure that the entry was added.
createUser -e 0x800015f8030011881a6eb900 bob MD5 bobtest123 DES bobtest123
NOTE: This will need to be done for each switch that will be sending traps.
5. Click the Save button.
SNMPv3 informs: If you are using SNMPv3 informs instead of traps you will use the following precedure:
1. Perform the first 3 steps needed for all devices except in this case you will change the Type in step 2 to inform.
2. Follow the procedure for SNMPv3 to add the user information to the snmptrapd.conf file. In the snmptrapd.conf window at the bottom you will need to scroll to the new entry that was created and remove the -e EngineID entry from the line, leaving only the user and password information.
createUser bob MD5 bobtest123 DES bobtest123
NOTE: This is the only line that would need to be added to the snmptrapd.conf file as it will cover all devices with the given SNMP profile information. If there are multiple profiles in use then one line will need to be added for each.
3. The last step is to add a remote engineID to the switch. This must be done from CLI with a telnet/ssh/serial connection to the switch. The engineID for the NetSight station can be obtained from the following location:
An example of this is show below:
# net-snmp (or ucd-snmp) persistent data file.
# DO NOT STORE CONFIGURATION ENTRIES HERE.
# Please save normal configuration tokens for snmptrapd in SNMPCONFPATH/snmptrapd.conf.
# Only "createUser" tokens should be placed here by snmptrapd administrators.
An example of this setup on a DFE is:
set snmp user bob remote 80:00:07:e5:80:d8:29:00:009d:5e:47 authentication md5 bobtest123 privacy bobtest123
NOTE: Any change done to the snmptrapd.conf file will require a restart of the snmptrap service.