Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

View The Switch Port An AP Is Attached To In Extreme Management

Userlevel 5
Hi,

When doing a search for an AP by name, serial, IP or selecting it via the Wireless -> Access Points section, it would be really useful to see what switch, and switch port it is connected to - which is one of the useful features the tool has in tracing where end-systems are connected.

Below is a few examples of the various places AP information is provided, but no detail on where in the network the AP is physically connected:

One way in I can see where the AP is attached is to do a compass search, as per below:

Just wondered if there is any other way, or the possibility could be added or is coming to show the information in the Oneview.

Many thanks in advance.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
You'd do authentication on the switch port - then it would show the AP in EMC.
A basic MAC based auth with a allow all would be enough, it's just to feed the information into EMC.
Userlevel 5
Ron wrote:

You'd do authentication on the switch port - then it would show the AP in EMC.
A basic MAC based auth with a allow all would be enough, it's just to feed the information into EMC.

Oh yes, of course. Thanks for that. Will give it a go.
Userlevel 5
Thats correct . But make sure that the number of users for auth on the port is limited to 1 , otherwise the wireless clients who doing mac/dot1x while bridged at AP will have an issue. In the latest XOS (21.2x I believe) there is an option for "Ap aware port" which will limit this number automatically.
Userlevel 5
Ostrovsky, Yury wrote:

Thats correct . But make sure that the number of users for auth on the port is limited to 1 , otherwise the wireless clients who doing mac/dot1x while bridged at AP will have an issue. In the latest XOS (21.2x I believe) there is an option for "Ap aware port" which will limit this number automatically.

Thanks Yury, probably wouldn't have done that had you not mentioned it. Cheers.
Userlevel 5
Do you know if there is a way to do it in EXOS ver 16.x, see a mention here that uses UPM:

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/xos-802-1x-ap-but-bypass-bridge-ap-clients

Would adapt it for MAC auth instead, but just wondered if that was the only way or something easier can be implemented.

Thanks.