Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Are there any limits for bootprelay enabled VLANs and how many different DHCP servers may I use simultaneously?

Userlevel 4
Hello, everybody!

Are there any limits for bootprelay enabled VLANs and how many different DHCP servers may I use simultaneously?

Just say "yes" or "no".

I am very sorry for a stupid question. Customer replied that there were some problems, but I remembered at my own experience that is was OK.

Many thanks in advance,

Ilya

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hello Llya,
As my recall, max number of Bootp or dhcp servers per VR is 4, max number of bootp or dhcp servers per vlan is 4 as well, but for your firmware version please confirm from release note:
http://www.extremenetworks.com/support/release-notes/
Userlevel 4
Hello Llya,
As my recall, max number of Bootp or dhcp servers per VR is 4, max number of bootp or dhcp servers per vlan is 4 as well, but for your firmware version please confirm from release note:
http://www.extremenetworks.com/support/release-notes/
Userlevel 6
Hello,

For bootprelay enabled vlans the limit seems to be related to the number of vlans performing routing function.

That limit depends on the platform as follows (collected for 16.1.3 release):

BlackDiamond X8:

Summit X460-G2, X670, X770, X670-G2, X450-G2:

Summit X440:

Summit X480, X460:
Userlevel 1
I'm also having problems with this on an X460-G2 running 22.2.1.5 with the evaluation license enabled.

It is only letting me configure 4 BOOTP relays per switch and assign a maximum of 4 to each VLAN.
I need to add 8 or more to the switch and 8 to specific VLAN's.

My switch is running two VR's with 10 VLAN's all running routing.

The reason I need to add so many DHCP relays is we use Enterasys NAC which requires DHCP packets to be forwarded to it so it can fingerprint clients. We have 8 NAC appliances and a couple of DHCP servers for clients and various phone systems that also operate as DHCP servers, so there is a lot of forwarding going on.

The release notes for 22.2 say:

BOOTP/DHCP relay—maximum number of BOOTP or DHCP servers per virtual router.
Summit X460-G2, X670-G2, X770, X450-G2, and ExtremeSwitching X440-G2, X620, X870

BOOTP/DHCP relay—maximum number of BOOTP or DHCP servers per VLAN.
Summit X460-G2, X670-G2, X770, X450-G2, and ExtremeSwitching X440-G2, X620, X870

Hmmm, this is going to be a show-stopper for us.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark.
Userlevel 4
Hi Mark,

Number will be increased in one of our next XOS release.

Best Regards,
Nikolay