Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Configuring OSPF on x620 with AE license

I wish to configure OSPF on a broadcast segment with 2x x620. When I attempted to do this I was surprised to find that if I wanted to set the interface priority to anything other than 0 (not eligable to be DR/BDR) that I am told I am not at a sufficient license level. I have an Advanced Edge license which is surely enough for me to be able to use a IGP.

SW-x620-1.1 # show conf ospf#
# Module ospf configuration.
#
configure ospf vlan VLAN-10 priority 0

SW-x620-1.2 # configure ospf vlan VLAN-10 priority 1
Error: This command cannot be executed at the current license level.

SW-x620-1.3 # show version
Switch :
PSU-1 :
PSU-2 :

Image : ExtremeXOS version 21.1.1.4 21.1.1.4-patch1-5 by release-manager
on Thu Jun 16 14:19:33 EDT 2016
BootROM : 1.0.1.8
Diagnostics : 5.4
SW-x620-1.4 # show lic
Enabled License Level:
Advanced Edge
Enabled Feature Packs:
None

System Type: X620-16x

I have rebooted after installing the license. Is there something else I need to do?

Any help, much appreciated.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Advanced Edge license can't be a DR or BDR so the priority has to be 0. Hope this helps.
Userlevel 6
Hello Paul,

The advanced edge license allows you to configure OSPF-edge features. Here are the caveats from our user guide:

OSPF Edge Mode is a subset of OSPF available on platforms with an Advanced Edge license.There are two restrictions on OSPF Edge Mode:
• At most, four Active OSPF VLAN interfaces are permitted. There is no restriction on the number of
Passive interfaces.
• The OSPF Priority on VLANs is 0, and is not configurable. This prevents the system from acting as a
DR or BDR.
Userlevel 6
Hi Paul, the AE License does not allow the switch to be elected as DR or BDR. We call that OSPF Edge Mode as follows:

OSPF Edge Mode is a subset of OSPF available on platforms with an Advanced Edge license.

There are two restrictions on OSPF Edge Mode:

At most, four Active OSPF VLAN interfaces are permitted. There is no restriction on the number of Passive interfaces. The OSPF Priority on VLANs is 0, and is not configurable. This prevents the system from acting as a DR or BDR.
Userlevel 6
You could make it P2P if there are only two OSPF devices in the network segment.
Userlevel 6
Configure the network between your OSPF devices as point-to-point and you do not need DR/BDR feature.
Thank you for your responses, it has clarified the issue.

I was not able to use pt-pt as there were to be be another neighbour on the broadcast segment. I have decided to use VRRP with static routing as I do not want to have the adjacency dependent on only one device.

I feel that for a switch of this value, and having purchased the AE licence it is a bit mean to make this restriction.