Edge port topology change

Userlevel 1
Hi, sometimes i get confused probably because i am missing something very obvious but im unable to see it.

For some reason a port configured as an edge port is initiating topologies changes, the port configuration is as follows:
configure stpd s0 ports link-type edge 3:32 configure stpd s0 ports edge-safeguard enable 3:32 configure stpd s0 ports bpdu-restrict enable 3:32 [/code]on the switch logs i see the following:
Slot-1: [s0:3:32] Topology Change Detected locally[/code]I have 802.1w configured on my switches and they are on version 22.x. I dont understand why this is happening, from my understanding of 802.1w only non-edge ports that move to forwarding state cause a topology change. So why am i seeing this on my logs a topology change from an edge port? Can anyone enlighten me?

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Can you provide us with a little more information such as the output of the following command show stpd s0 ports 3:32 detail?
Userlevel 1
Brian Austin wrote:

Can you provide us with a little more information such as the output of the following command show stpd s0 ports 3:32 detail?

Hi Brian,

Here is the output:
sh stpd s0 port 3:32 detail Stpd: s0 Port: 3:32 PortId: 8120 Stp: ENABLED Path Cost: 20000 Port Mode : 802.1D Port Role : Designated Port State : FORWARDING Topology Change Ack: FALSE Port Priority : 128 Designated Root : 20:00:74:a0:2f:0c:dd:80 Designated Cost: 20000, IntCost: 0 Designated Bridge : 80:00:02:04:96:9e:5e:41 Designated Port Id: 8120 Partner STP version : Dot1w Restricted Role : Disabled Active Role : Disabled Edge Port Safe Guard : Enabled Bpdu Restrict : Enabled maxAge: 20 msgAge: 1 fwdDelay: 15 helloTime: 2 maxHops: 20 Restricted TCN : Off Loop Protect : Off Loop Protect Partner : Incapable Operational Edge : FALSE Auto Edge : On Participating Vlans: Aulas [/code]
thanks
Userlevel 4
Hello GONÇALO,

Please check the issue on the EXOS 22.2.1.5-patch1-4, as it is not affected by next CRs

“CR#xos0069839 - Operational Edge status is inconsistent if edge-safeguard is enabled before configuring link as edge”.
“CR xos0069755 - when edge port goes down topology change is incorrectly triggered”

Or you may wait for December's '18 patch 22.3.1.4

Best Regards,
Nikolay
Userlevel 1
Necheporenko, Nikolay wrote:

Hello GONÇALO,

Please check the issue on the EXOS 22.2.1.5-patch1-4, as it is not affected by next CRs

“CR#xos0069839 - Operational Edge status is inconsistent if edge-safeguard is enabled before configuring link as edge”.
“CR xos0069755 - when edge port goes down topology change is incorrectly triggered”

Best Regards,
Nikolay

Hi Nikolay

i have update recently all my switches and im running 22.3.1.4-patch1-4

Regards
Userlevel 1

Hello GONÇALO,

Best Regards,
Nikolay

Hi Nikolay

Can you explain me what is "next CRs"?

Regards
Userlevel 4

Hello GONÇALO,

Best Regards,
Nikolay

Hello,

That are CRs about known STP issues, and 22.3.1.4p1-4 is affected and does not contain fixes. Fixes are expected in a next patch 22.3.

Best Regards,
Nikolay
Userlevel 1

Hello GONÇALO,

Best Regards,
Nikolay

Thanks Nikolay
Userlevel 1
Hi Brian,

Here is the output:
sh stpd s0 port 3:32 detail Stpd: s0 Port: 3:32 PortId: 8120 Stp: ENABLED Path Cost: 20000 Port Mode : 802.1D Port Role : Designated Port State : FORWARDING Topology Change Ack: FALSE Port Priority : 128 Designated Root : 20:00:74:a0:2f:0c:dd:80 Designated Cost: 20000, IntCost: 0 Designated Bridge : 80:00:02:04:96:9e:5e:41 Designated Port Id: 8120 Partner STP version : Dot1w Restricted Role : Disabled Active Role : Disabled Edge Port Safe Guard : Enabled Bpdu Restrict : Enabled maxAge: 20 msgAge: 1 fwdDelay: 15 helloTime: 2 maxHops: 20 Restricted TCN : Off Loop Protect : Off Loop Protect Partner : Incapable Operational Edge : FALSE Auto Edge : On Participating Vlans: Aulas [/code]
thanks
Userlevel 1
GONÇALO NUNO CONTENTE PIMENTEL DA SILVA REIS wrote:

Hi Brian,

Here is the output:
thanks

Hi, All as i said before on EXOS 22.3.1.4 for some unknown reasons ports configured with link-type edge are initiating topology changes, this happens because the operational edge goes from True to False and the port starts behaving has if there was no link-type edge configuration. Thanks to Nicolay i was informed that this would be corrected in the next patch.

Since there is no next patch yet for EXOS 22.3.1.4 i have taken the initiative to try the new EXOS release 22.4.1.4. After reading the resolved issues i was convinced that this issue was solved since CR xos0069755 is among the list of solved issues.

I would like to underline that i am not sure if CR xos0069755 relates to the issue i am experiencing even though the end result is the same, the port incorrectly trigger a topology change.

All the ports connected to end devices on my network have the following configuration
configure stpd s0 ports link-type edge 3:32 configure stpd s0 ports edge-safeguard enable 3:32 configure stpd s0 ports bpdu-restrict enable 3:32 [/code]this can be verified with the command "sh stpd s0 port 3:32 detail", the important lines from the output are as follows.
Edge Port Safe Guard : Enabled
Bpdu Restrict : Enabled
Operational Edge : TRUE
Auto Edge : On[/code]After changing a port vlan the Operational Edge goes to FALSE and when the port links up a topology change is triggerd even though the port is still configured with the link-type edge. I have tried to disable the Auto Edge, but no luck.
Edge Port Safe Guard : Enabled
Bpdu Restrict : Enabled
Operational Edge : FALSE Auto Edge : On [/code]The only solution i have found for the moment, is uppon changing a port vlan, double check if Operational Edge is FALSE and if so the port must be reconfigured with the link-type edge command in the following order to bring the Operational EDGE to TRUE.
configure stpd s0 ports link-type edge 3:32 configure stpd s0 ports edge-safeguard enable 3:32 configure stpd s0 ports bpdu-restrict enable 3:32 [/code]Regards
Gonçalo Reis