EXOS CLI Cursor jumping

• 26 October 2016
  • 44 replies

Show first post

44 replies

Userlevel 7
For what it's worth, terminal window resizing in SSH sessions just works for GNU/Linux inside XTerm and gnome-terminal using OpenSSH with Bash or Busybox ash as shell. It does not depend on Bash's checkwinsize option. There are no artificial limits for window sizes either.

I think it annoying that EXOS does not adjust automatically to a changed terminal window size for SSH sessions. :-(
Stephane, I did not reproduce the jumping cursor issue using SSH when trying today.

Automatically setting columns and lines according to the terminal size on every resize should be considered a feature request, it is standard behavior on GNU/Linux and Arista switches.
You want an example? Well, I just typed a few commands on a recent XOS Switch (16.1.3.6 patch1-11), and the CLI get messed up even without any resizing of my terminal.

1) Open a PuTTY SSH to XOS.

2) Execute the following command:
download image 1.2.3.4 foo.bar vr VR-Default
It will intentionally throw an error without doing anything.

3) Press Key-Up to recall the last command.

4) Scroll left and position your cursor right after the filename for example.

5) Start typing anything and continue typing.

6) As soon as there is a line wrap going to happen at the end of your window, the terminal gets messed up like seen on Matthias' first screenshot.

And common, recalling a command and editing it, that's nothing unusal. I guess that even worked on VT100's back in the 80's..
Userlevel 7
You want an example? Well, I just typed a few commands on a recent XOS Switch (16.1.3.6 patch1-11), and the CLI get messed up even without any resizing of my terminal.

6) As soon as there is a line wrap going to happen at the end of your window, the terminal gets messed up like seen on Matthias' first screenshot.

And common, recalling a command and editing it, that's nothing unusal. I guess that even worked on VT100's back in the 80's..

I'd wager that results from the error message not taken into account correctly for cursor positioning (I could reproduce this using XTerm, OpenSSH, EXOS 15.3).

If I remember correctly just recalling or editing inside a line needing wrapping results in the "jumping cursor" when connected via serial console using a terminal window size that is different from the configured CLI size.
Userlevel 7

Indeed.
I guess I didn't notice it because I need to type a lot to have it happen, way more than any command allows.

That shouldn't happen, a CR should be opened to have this investigated.
Userlevel 6
As already mentioned, this issue happens for Telnet/SSH/Console and the workaround is to increase the column size (available in EXOS 16.1 or higher releases).

Since that adjustment is done per session, it's complicated to perform this after each login.

I'll check internally about a possible FR to "automatically set columns and lines according to the terminal size on every resize" and get back to this thread.
Userlevel 7
As already mentioned, this issue happens for Telnet/SSH/Console and the workaround is to increase the column size (available in EXOS 16.1 or higher releases).

Since that adjustment is done per session, it's complicated to perform this after each login.

I'll check internally about a possible FR to "automatically set columns and lines according to the terminal size on every resize" and get back to this thread.
a CR is being opened.
Userlevel 6

Great Stephane. Thanks for let me know.

I have one switch with that issue for both Telnet/Console just in case.

Thanks
Userlevel 6

Hi Stephane, Hi Henrique,

are there any news about the CR / FR for "automatically set columns and lines according to the terminal size on every resize" ?

Does PLM this CR agree? Are there informations about which Version will include this?

Thanks,
Matthias
Userlevel 6

Hi Matthias, currently the target releases are 16.2.2, 22.2.1 and 22.3.1.

1st two versions seems to have the fix, but still in test phase.
Userlevel 6

Great!
Userlevel 7

I just tested: following David methodology, no more issue.
Userlevel 7

Just to be clear, I tested with David methodology, ie in telnet/ssh.
Userlevel 6

Hello, all!

Can some body tell me exact number of CR of this issue?
Tell me, please, at which releases this issue is fixed.

Thank you!
Userlevel 6

16.2.2, 22.2.1 and 22.3.1.
Userlevel 6

Thank you!
Userlevel 6

Hello, all!

22.2.1.5 patch1-4
Connect through Console.
After deleting some part of command cursor is still jumping up.
BUT
In unlike previous versions behaviors - in 22.2.1 rest part of command is dissapear.

Thank you!
Userlevel 6

With Telnet no issue.

Thank you!
Userlevel 7

When you are connected via a serial line, there is no way for the system to negotiate the window size with the terminal
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/317497/command-wraps-around-same-line-after-80-characters

I think you can use the [code]configure cli columns[/code] command to adjust this when you're working with the console.
Userlevel 6

Thank you, Drew!