Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Firmware download for x450a-24t

I have recent bought an old x450a-24t from Ebay and I am trying to download the latest firmware for this switch. I have bought this for a home lab to learn more about the xos operating system. Can anybody tell me th best way to go about this? Also how can I tell the level of licence applied to th switch? Many thanks, Pete

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Peter,
As you may know, the X450a/e series is end-of-sale and nearing its end-of-life date. Since this switch is likely not under any support contract, there aren't any "normal" ways for you to get the software for this switch. I'll contact you via email to talk about some options.

Regarding license, once you're on the CLI, all you need to do is run the command:
code:

show licenses

http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/exos_commands_16/exos_16_2/exos_commands_all/r_show-license...
Userlevel 7
In addition to using the switch to learn EXOS, you can use the EXOS VM. More info on our GitHub page: https://github.com/extremenetworks/Virtual_EXOS
To clarify, does this mean the firmware versions applicable to older hardware are not available unless there is a support contract?
Userlevel 7
Christopher Gray wrote:

To clarify, does this mean the firmware versions applicable to older hardware are not available unless there is a support contract?

That's correct, Christopher.
Christopher Gray wrote:

Interesting, so purchasing used equipment is frowned upon / used equipment cannot be updated?
Userlevel 7
Christopher Gray wrote:

Here's the official Grey Market Policy: https://extrcdn.extremenetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Extreme-Grey-Market-Sales-Policy.pdf
This also came up recently in another thread: https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/buying-used-switch-on-ebay-howto-get-updates
We have bought a Summit X450a-24t quite a long time ago and I want to bring this device to a recent firmware version. We bought this device from a distributor, which seems not to exist any more. We did not received a portal login from this distributor. Can any one tell me how I can get firmware download for this device?
Userlevel 4
Daniel Steglich wrote:

We have bought a Summit X450a-24t quite a long time ago and I want to bring this device to a recent firmware version. We bought this device from a distributor, which seems not to exist any more. We did not received a portal login from this distributor. Can any one tell me how I can get firmware download for this device?

kindly read the above messages about getting licenses
Daniel Steglich wrote:

X450a-24t.1 # show licenses
Enabled License Level:
Advanced Edge

But how does this help to get the firmware downloaded?
Userlevel 4
Daniel Steglich wrote:

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/buying-used-switch-on-ebay-howto-get-updates
Daniel Steglich wrote:

Yes, I have seen this post but I did not bought this switch as a used Item. I bought the device over a official distributor.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Steglich wrote:

We bought this device from a distributor, which seems not to exist any more.

Daniel Steglich wrote:

And what does this mean? I can't get a firmware image?
Daniel Steglich wrote:

So buying a extreme networks device always includes the risk that if the distributor will went bankrupt, then the device will be transformed into a purple brick. That was new to me.
Userlevel 4
Daniel Steglich wrote:

which firmware version you have for now?
Daniel Steglich wrote:

11.5.2.10 another device we are using (same story) is equipped with 12.1.1.4 we want the same version on both devices. So the 12.1.1.4 would be good (or a newer version so we equip both devices with this version).
Daniel Steglich wrote:

... I can provide serial number if that helps to get the connection between us, the distributor and the device.
Daniel Steglich wrote:

Any Chance to receive that firmware file?