How can I use chalet on a new switch?

Please what cable will I use to connect to the management switch to use chalet. Have summit X440 switch. and how do i get the last 2 numbers for the ip address.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Ruth,
Depending on the EXOS version that shipped on your X440, once the mgmt port is connected to a network that provides an address via DHCP, the full IP address will flash in the stacking LCD window on the left side of the switch. Chalet and "Zero-Touch Provisioning" is in EXOS 15.7+. Previous EXOS versions have a similar auto-provisioning feature, but it requires more configuration.

Here's some more information on how Zero Touch Provisioning works.
If there is no DHCP server, take a look at this thread, which will explain how the Link Local addressing works (based on switch MAC address).

-Drew
Thanks Drew, It is not connected to anything yet and how do i connect to the management port. I have a console cable but do not want to use it. I do not know what the last 2 digits of the address is. It is a stack switch and there is a number (18) on the stack id window. I have connected it using the console cable but it is not flashing any other number.
Userlevel 7
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Thanks Drew, It is not connected to anything yet and how do i connect to the management port. I have a console cable but do not want to use it. I do not know what the last 2 digits of the address is. It is a stack switch and there is a number (18) on the stack id window. I have connected it using the console cable but it is not flashing any other number.

You'll need an IP address on the switch to be able to telnet through the management connection. The Link-Local IP would be flashing in the LCD window if your switch had 15.7 already installed (and one wasn't received from DHCP). The numbers in the stacking LCD would be illuminated in green if there was information to display.

You can't configure/enable stacking from within Chalet, so you'll need to connect to the switch using console so that you can configure the mgmt IP address.
How to console into Extreme and Enterasys switches

Once in, you can follow steps in the How-To article Brandon posted below.
If you're just using a laptop to connect to the switch, you won't need a default gateway, but you may need one at some point.

edit: Brandon created the mgmt interface article.
Userlevel 7
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Hi Ruth,

You can find an article specifically for setting up an IP address and default gateway for the management interface below:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-an-IP-address-on-the-mana...

-Brandon
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Brandon I have not been able to get into the chalet so I cannot configure the management console.

Thank you.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

I have connected to the console and trying to use the console but do not know what ip address to put in the putty. It would have been better to work using the management port but the ip address of 169.254.x.x which I got from the mac address is not working.
I have tried the management port and I have the IP address to connect to the chalet but I am not able to. I used the ethernet cable to the laptop but I cannot get to the chalet. I have the documentation open and have gone through it several times.
Userlevel 7
Ruth Hinds wrote:

I have tried the management port and I have the IP address to connect to the chalet but I am not able to. I used the ethernet cable to the laptop but I cannot get to the chalet. I have the documentation open and have gone through it several times.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this before. Chalet (and the previously mentioned Zero Touch Provisioning) wasn't implemented into EXOS until v15.7+. You will need to upgrade the switch before you will be able to access it.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

I am trying to log in using the console but not able to. How can i log in using putty?
Can you tell me how to upgrade the switch also?

Thank you for your input.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Okay thanks I saw your input above.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

What address do i use to connect to the switch using putty is my question. I still do not have an ip address before I can get into the CLI.
Userlevel 7
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Do you have a DB9 Serial port or a USB->Serial adapter to connect the console? You can't connect the console port to the Ethernet port on your computer to access it. A serial connection is required.
Regarding upgrade, once you're logged in you've got several options. You can look into documentation for creating a stack and then upgrading them, or you can do every switch individually.

Please consider taking a look at GTAC Knowledge to search for articles on how to configure stacking and upgrade the switches. A search for "upgrade exos" returns several useful articles for this.

You may decide to go ahead and open a support ticket so someone can help guide you through the basics. Your SE or reseller should also be able to assist.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Thank you all. I did not change the com port in putty and that is why I was not able to connect to it. Please how can i upgrade to v15.7 or later for the IOS so that I can connect to to the chalet.
Userlevel 7
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Hi Ruth,
Please take a look at this article: How to Obtain and Upgrade EXOS
If you want Chalet, I would recommend either v15.7.2.9 or v16.1.1.4-patch1-1. If you want Chalet, they're the most recent two versions that have it.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to configure the virtual router so that I can upgrade the EXOS or give me the ip address because I am trying to retrieve the image from the tftp server.

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Hi Ruth,
There are numerous links to articles posted in this thread that will give you the information you're looking for.
Specifically, this one posted by Brandon Clay: How to configure an IP address on the management interface of an EXOS switch

If you have any trouble, let us know!
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Now I have configured the IP address for the management port but unfortunately I cannot ping my ip address which has the tftp server on it.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

what else do I have to do to be able to ping the tftp server? This server is on my LAN at work.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

I am using the console port to set this up
Userlevel 7
Ruth Hinds wrote:

How about you post the output of "show vlan" and also tell us the IP of the TFTP server.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

X440-48p-10G.11 # show vlan---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name VID Protocol Addr Flags Proto Ports Virtual
Active router
/Total
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Default 1 --------------------------------T-------------- ANY 1 /50 VR-Default
Mgmt 4095 192.0.2.100 /24 --------------------------- ANY 0 /1 VR-Mgmt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flags : (B) BFD Enabled, (c) 802.1ad customer VLAN, (C) EAPS Control VLAN,
(d) Dynamically created VLAN, (D) VLAN Admin Disabled,
(e) CES Configured, (E) ESRP Enabled, (f) IP Forwarding Enabled,
(F) Learning Disabled, (i) ISIS Enabled, (I) Inter-Switch Connection VLAN for MLAG,
(k) PTP Configured, (l) MPLS Enabled, (L) Loopback Enabled,
(m) IPmc Forwarding Enabled, (M) Translation Member VLAN or Subscriber VLAN,
(n) IP Multinetting Enabled, (N) Network Login VLAN, (o) OSPF Enabled,
(O) Flooding Disabled, (p) PIM Enabled, (P) EAPS protected VLAN,
(r) RIP Enabled, (R) Sub-VLAN IP Range Configured,
(s) Sub-VLAN, (S) Super-VLAN, (t) Translation VLAN or Network VLAN,
(T) Member of STP Domain, (v) VRRP Enabled, (V) VPLS Enabled, (W) VPWS Enabled

Total number of VLAN(s) : 2

The TFTP's server is 192.168.168.239
Userlevel 7
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Ruth, the mgmt port isn't active. The mgmt VLAN is also in a different subnet than that of your TFTP server. You'll need some routing in the network to take care of that. You'll need the default route set (per the article above) to help with that.
Once you have routing and an active mgmt port connection to your network, your ping command will look like:
code:
ping vr vr-mgmt 192.168.168.239[code]
[/code]
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Drew, where are the instructions on how to configure the management vlan and to get routing set up. I keep getting one instruction at a time. Where is the instruction to walk you through.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

I was told to put in the vlan and other stuff and I did. Is it possible to configure the mgmt vlan to be on the subnet that I am on or what is the deal because then I do not have to route anyting.
Ruth Hinds wrote:

Please point me on to a reliable information or manual to set this up. I keep getting links on what to do without even understanding what I am doing.