Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Initial setup on X440-g2-24p Can't ping between devices with static ip's on ports 2 and 3 (or any others)

Initial setup, Out of Box configuration... Using the default VLAN, I can't ping between two statically set ips on devices attached to ports 2 and 3. (or any other two ports)
I have:
configure vlan default add ports 1-28
configure vlan default ipaddress 192.168.10.15 255.255.255.0
enable ip forwarding vlan default
configure iproute add default 192.168.10.1
configure bootprelay add 192.168.10.14 vr VR-Default
enable bootprelay ipv4 vlan Default

The devices attached to ports 2 and 3 are windows 7 boxes with ips 10.16 and 10.17. Port 1 is the uplink to another switch.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Michael & welcome to the forum.

I'd like to start with the most basic question - is there a personal firewall active on the devices that block the ping = if you connect them just with a patch cable could they ping each other.

Could you ping 192.168.10.15 from the devices.

Could you please post the output of show vlan.

-Ron
Userlevel 7
Hi Michael,
What version of EXOS is installed on your switch?
Out of the box, be aware of this condition: FN412 - EXOS 21.1.1 Patch 1-2 will not forward traffic with default configuration

The workaround listed there might be what it takes to get you going again.
Ron wrote:

I'd like to start with the most basic question - is there a personal firewall active on the devices that block the ping = if you connect them just with a patch cable could they ping each other.

-Ron

Hi Ron, Thanks for the quick replay. This is a basic setup, so thank you for the basic questions... I can ping 192.168.10.15 from 10.16 and 10.17. I can ping both devices (16&17) from the switch (15) as well. But 15 and 16 can't ping each other.

Here is the output of Show Vlan:
X440G2-24p-10G4.1 # show vlan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name VID Protocol Addr Flags Proto Ports Virtual
Active router
/Total
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Default 1 192.168.10.15 /24 -f----------T--------------- ANY 3 /28 VR-Default
Mgmt 4095 ------------------------------------------------ ANY 0 /1 VR-Mgmt
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Michael,
Out of the box, be aware of this condition: FN412 - EXOS 21.1.1 Patch 1-2 will not forward traffic with default configuration

EXOS ver 21.1.1.4
Patch 1-5
I'll check out the link. Thanks!
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Michael,

This looks like my problem... Although I have Patch 1-5, I still see:
disable flooding all_cast port 1
On ports (1->28)
Ron wrote:

-Ron

Hi Ron, Drew C helped out below. Thanks Drew.
Userlevel 7
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Michael,

Run this command and it should start working:
code:
enable flooding all_cast ports all

I'll have to check into the patch1-5 issue, it shouldn't be present there.
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Michael,

Ha! Came here to report that I got it working with exactly this command. Thanks to the link you handed off! It looks like that patch 1-2 bug is still sorta there in patch 1-5. It is switching now though! Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Michael,

Glad to hear that you were able to get this working. Hopefully it wasn't too frustrating.
Also glad to see that you joined The Hub just to post this question - welcome to the community!

-Drew
Userlevel 7
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Michael,

Regarding patch1-5, it sounds like there are some special circumstances spelled out in the Field Notice that I didn't see. I think this section explains what you experienced:

With patch 1-5, if the switch boots and the following conditions are true, ZTP can still disable flooding after it can resolve extremecontrol (DNS) and can connect to EMC (Netsight)

1. Switch/Controller can DNS resolve "extremecontrol[.searchdomain]", "extremecontrol.extremenetworks.com" or "devices.extremenetworks.com"
  2. If one of these is responding, then try to connect to it
  3. Flooding is then disabled

Userlevel 4
what are the IPs of devices connected to port 2 and 3?
Userlevel 7
Nick Yakimenko wrote:

what are the IPs of devices connected to port 2 and 3?

"The devices attached to ports 2 and 3 are windows 7 boxes with ips 10.16 and 10.17. Port 1 is the uplink to another switch."

The post was edited with this new information.
Userlevel 5
Hi,

Add the script to reference FN412 from KCS.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/FN412-EXOS-21-1-1-Patch-1-2-will-not-for...

Best regards,
Bin