Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Load sharing (lacp)

Userlevel 1
If I have load sharing enabled on 1:4,2:4 with 1:4 as master. Do I need to put all vlans as tag on both 1:4 and 2:4 Or should I allow all vlans as tag on only master port 1:4 1:4,2:4 are ports of one core connecting to other core 1:4,2;4.

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Hello Sai

Once you have a Load share enabled you just add the master port to the VLAN. The other ports will not show up.

Hope that helps

P
Userlevel 1
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Once you have a Load share enabled you just add the master port to the VLAN. The other ports will not show up.

Hope that helps

P

Didnt get that sorry

U mean allow all vlans on master port only , what if master port goes down? I have on one core: all vlans tagged on 1:4,2:4 On other core all vlans are tagged on 1:4 only
Userlevel 6
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

Hey Sai

The Load share will use all links to send traffic from any VLAN on the port. You just use the master port to assign the Load Share to the VLAN.

So if the master port, or any port, goes down the load share will instantly move the traffic that was supposed to go over that port to one of the other ports.

When you add Load share port to a VLAN it will show the master port and have a flag that it is a shared port it will not show all of the other ports in the load share.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
P
Userlevel 6
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

The master port is the only port that needs to be added into any configuration.
Userlevel 5
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

Any configurations you add to the master port are propagated to all other ports in the LAG, trying to add a VLAN or any other configuration to the secondary ports in the LAG will produce the following error:Error: Port is in load sharing mode. Perform all configuration changes to load share master .[/code]
Userlevel 6
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

When you create a LAG (let's say master = 1:4 and group = 1:4, 2:4) the master port represents the group for switch vlan configuration.

That means the switch will consider this LAG as port "1:4g" where "g" means Load Sharing port.

Based on that, when you do "configure vlan add ports 1:4 tagged", all the LAG will be applied/configured to that vlan.

When you do a "show vlan " you will see the following (based on above description):

Tag: 1:4g

If the master port goes down, traffic will be shared to the remaining ports.
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

Hi Sai,

Yes, you can only configure the vlans you want to be tagged (or allow all vlans) on MASTER port. If you try to configure tagged vlan on 2:4 (non-master port) then you will receive the following error:

* Slot-1 Stack.27 # config vlan M add ports 2:4 tagged
Error: Port 2:4 is in load sharing mode. Perform all configuration changes to load share master (1:4).
Configuration failed on backup Node, command execution aborted!

Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

OK makes sense

But on switch configuration why I am seeing 1:4,2:4 tagged for all vlans on core-a and only 1:4 tagged for all vlans on core-b . I mean config should be same on both cores right. Both core are connecting to each other over 1:4 and 2:4 and are running vrrp
Userlevel 6
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

Could you please share the output for the command below on both core-a and core-b:

show configuration | include sharing
show sharing
Userlevel 1
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

Core-A:

enable sharing 1:4 grouping 1:4, 2:4 algorithm address-based L2 lacp

Core-B:

enable sharing 1:4 grouping 1:4, 2:4 algorithm address-based L2 lacp
Userlevel 6
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

Hello Sai

Those are the correct commands. can you share the output you saw when it shows 1:4 tagged on one core and 1:4,2:4 on the other switch?

Also can you do a show port 1:4,2:4 info detail on both switches and post it?

Thanks
P
Userlevel 1
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

Core-A
-> show ports sharing Load Sharing Monitor
Config Current Agg Ld Share Ld Share Agg Link Link Up
Master Master Control Algorithm Group Mbr State Transitions
==============================================================================
1:4 1:4 LACP L2 1:4 Y A 1
L2 2:4 Y A 1
Link State: A-Active, D-Disabled, R-Ready, NP-Port not present, L-Loopback
Load Sharing Algorithm: (L2) Layer 2 address based, (L3) Layer 3 address based

Core-B
-> show ports sharing Load Sharing Monitor
Config Current Agg Ld Share Ld Share Agg Link Link Up
Master Master Control Algorithm Group Mbr State Transitions
1:4 1:4 LACP L2 1:4 Y A 1
L2 2:4 Y A 1
Link State: A-Active, D-Disabled, R-Ready, NP-Port not present, L-Loopback
Load Sharing Algorithm: (L2) Layer 2 address based, (L3) Layer 3 address based

THIS LOOKS good may be I was seeing some other config,
Userlevel 6
Paul Russo wrote:

Hello Sai

Hope that helps

P

I agree it looks like a valid config. If you do a show VLAN for the ones tagged on those ports you should just see port 1:4 added as tagged with a little g showing it is shared. If that is the case I think you are fine.

P
Userlevel 1
You need to associate master port 1:4 alone to all vlans.