Solved

No IP Connectivity from VLAN with static route.

Hello! I am trying to setup a vlan for a department in a separate building. I come from the Cisco side of networking, so I am familiar with what I need to do. However, I am having some difficulty with getting IP connectivity on a vlan. 

So, I uploaded the most incredible MS Paint representation I could make of the network in 45 seconds. 

Basically, we have a core switch with 10.33.16.1 as the ip address. It has two vlans on one port. Vlan1 is tagged, and vlan2 is untagged. Both are on port 48. 

On the stack side in the other building. We have the two same VLANs. vlan1 ip is 10.33.224.20 and vlan2 ip is 10.33.64.16. 

Both are on VR-Default. 

I have added both gateways to VR-Default 

configure iproute add default 10.33.224.1

configure iproute add default 10.33.64.1 

Vlan 2 with ip 10.33.64.16 has IP connectivity to everything in the network. It’s also able to browse the internet. 

However, if I add a port to vlan1, I cannot get an IP address and can no longer ping anything. I can ping vlan 2 from vlan 1 and vice versa. But once I add the default route 10.33.224.1 to the table I can no longer ping 10.33.224.1 on either vlan. 

I have tried enabling ipforwarding as well. Not sure what I am doing wrong. 

icon

Best answer by Tomasz 10 May 2020, 00:19

When all VLANs are set with consistent IDs and egress tagging both sides, switches should see each other in their fdb (‘show fdb port’, ‘show fdb vlan’, you can also try to find a neighbor with show edp command) on both VLANs in that case. Once a PC gets an IP (or please try some static one for now) it should be seen on both devices as well.

There should be no such behavior that an IP address in a VLAN to alter the flooding behavior of a switch in case of broadcast traffic (ARP requests or DHCP in that case). It will only make that switch is also possible to perform IP-based communication within that VLAN (pings, telnet etc.).

Once I add an IP to Vocational_Data, I can no longer ping our dhcp server, the 10.33.224.1 (the core switch vlan for Vocational_data), or anything else unless I specify it is from the HS_Data vlan. 

Before IP set on Vocational VLAN, it will try to use the existing HS_Data-based default gateway (that was shown few posts above - assuming its still in place, perhaps it would be better to not put any default routes on the stack unless you want your stack to reach some outside networks thru just one of these VLANs).

After IP set on Vocational VLAN it will try to use that exact VLAN to egress. But it doesn’t work and you see no switches both sides in that VLAN fdb. I would double check tagging and VLAN ID itself just in case as this seems like an L2 thing. But if they are consistent I run out of ideas for the moment, vlan/port/ip config of both devices in an erroneous scenario would give much more visibility. Might there be some other protocol blocking the port in Vocational vlan (flags associated to the port number when issued ‘show vlan Vocational’)?

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi SumTieMz,

If on a router two VLAN interfaces have IP addresses and ipforwarding enabled, routing between these two subnets should work without any issue. Any pinged device must be reachable over the same L2 segment as router’s interface and subnet masks shall be consistent. Anything that doesn’t work if these are correct looks a bit odd.

Please confirm my understanding:

• 10.33.224.1 a core switch vlan 1 IP, or some other device?
  • This ping failures to 10.33.224.1 occur on end devices or when you ping from the stack it fails as well?

If possible, ‘show vlan’, ‘show port . vlan’ and ‘show iproute’ would be appreciated here.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

Userlevel 6

What stack is doing the routing? 

I would think the Core should have both IPs

ipf enabled

Stack 2 just needs an address on one of those VLANs for management access. I should not need ipf enabled on that stack or a second IP unless you want it for testing.

I would give it 10.33.224.20 and a default route of 10.33.224.1

With this config if VLAN 2 is tagged on both uplink ports and untagged on a user port a PC with a static ip/mask and default gateway of 10.33.224.1 should be able to ping 

The Core is directly connected to both IPs which you should see if you run 

sho iproute

Hope this helps,

Hi SumTieMz,

If on a router two VLAN interfaces have IP addresses and ipforwarding enabled, routing between these two subnets should work without any issue. Any pinged device must be reachable over the same L2 segment as router’s interface and subnet masks shall be consistent. Anything that doesn’t work if these are correct looks a bit odd.

Please confirm my understanding:

• 10.33.224.1 a core switch vlan 1 IP, or some other device?
  • This ping failures to 10.33.224.1 occur on end devices or when you ping from the stack it fails as well?

If possible, ‘show vlan’, ‘show port . vlan’ and ‘show iproute’ would be appreciated here.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

Ori  Destination        Gateway         Mtr  Flags         VLAN       Duration
#s   Default Route      10.33.64.1      1    UG---S-um--f- HS_Data    23d:9h:38m:8s
 s   Default Route      10.33.224.1     1    -G---S-um---- Vocational_Data 0d:0h:2m:13s
#d   10.33.64.0/20      10.33.64.16     1    U------um--f- HS_Data    23d:9h:38m:16s
 d   10.33.224.0/20     10.33.224.20    1    -------um---- Vocational_Data 0d:0h:2m:24s

----------------
Default         1    ------------------------------------------------  ANY    0 /0   VR-Default
HS_Data         400  10.33.64.16    /20  ------------T---------------  ANY    64/364 VR-Default
Mgmt            4095 ------------------------------------------------  ANY    0 /1   VR-Mgmt
Vocational_Data 340  10.33.224.20   /20  ----------------------------  ANY    0 /0   VR-Default
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is currently no ports on the vlan Vocational_Data, so if I enable loopback-mode it will show as up. 

* Slot-1 HS_MDF.10 # sh iproute
#s   Default Route      10.33.64.1      1    UG---S-um--f- HS_Data    23d:9h:39m:31s
#s   Default Route      10.33.224.1     1    UG---S-um---- Vocational_Data 0d:0h:3m:36s
#d   10.33.64.0/20      10.33.64.16     1    U------um--f- HS_Data    23d:9h:39m:39s
#d   10.33.224.0/20     10.33.224.20    1    U------um--f- Vocational_Data 0d:0h:3m:47s

However, when attempting to ping 10.33.224.1 now that the vlan is configured i get this. 

* Slot-1 HS_MDF.11 # ^C
* Slot-1 HS_MDF.11 # ping 10.33.224.1
Ping(ICMP) 10.33.224.1: 4 packets, 8 data bytes, interval 1 second(s).
Request timed out
Request timed out
Request timed out
Request timed out

If I remove the ip from the vlan Vocational_Data. I can ping the gateway. 

* Slot-1 HS_MDF.15 # ping 10.33.224.1
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=4.290 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.578 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.636 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.545 ms

If I configure everything: 

configure vlan Vocational_Data ipaddress 10.33.224.20 255.255.240.0 

configure iproute add default 10.33.224.1 

configure vlan Vocational_Data add port 6:47 tagged

configure vlan HS_Data add port 6:47 untagged 

configure vlan Vocational_data add port 7:40 untagged (Windows computer for testing) 

I get no IP on the Windows machine. 

Pinging from stack both vlans 

* Slot-1 HS_MDF.18 # ping 10.33.224.1 from 10.33.64.16
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.707 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=19 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.827 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.866 ms

Pinging from HS_Data Vlan IP to gateway in different subnet

* Slot-1 HS_MDF.19 # ping 10.33.224.1 from 10.33.64.16
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=4.071 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.324 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.445 ms
16 bytes from 10.33.224.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=2.318 ms

* Slot-1 HS_MDF.20 # ping 10.33.224.1 from 10.33.224.20
Request timed out
Request timed out
Request timed out
Request timed out

* Slot-1 HS_MDF.28 # ping 10.33.224.20
Ping(ICMP) 10.33.224.20: 4 packets, 8 data bytes, interval 1 second(s).
Packet transmit error; Destination unreachable

What stack is doing the routing? 

I would think the Core should have both IPs

ipf enabled

Stack 2 just needs an address on one of those VLANs for management access. I should not need ipf enabled on that stack or a second IP unless you want it for testing.

I would give it 10.33.224.20 and a default route of 10.33.224.1

With this config if VLAN 2 is tagged on both uplink ports and untagged on a user port a PC with a static ip/mask and default gateway of 10.33.224.1 should be able to ping 

The Core is directly connected to both IPs which you should see if you run 

sho iproute

Hope this helps,

The core has both IPs on rtif. Both VLANs on the core are on port 1:48. 

I can ping 10.33.224.1 from HS_Data vlan, but not from vocational_data vlan. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

I'm not sure if I got all your steps correctly, let me try to move in a sequence. And a small precaution, I’m on low caffeine level when I write this. ;)

Perhaps there could have been an issue of having a loopback interface that is not routable and not being able to ping from it, how is the traffic supposed to egress this interface? I seek this as a possible explanation why you couldn't ping 10.33.224.1 from the stack based on the information provided. And when you removed the IP address from Vocational_Data vlan, HS_Data interface was used as per the default route and the core switch was able to reply.

Moving further, configuring IP and routes and adding ports to Vocational_Data seems perfectly fine. BTW please mind that if your stack is only going to be a switch (and IPs are applied for in-band mgmt purposes only), there won't be much effect for end-devices in putting default routes to the stack's routing table. It is only the switch that becomes able to possibly get to other subnets than the two configured on it.

Regarding no IP on connected Vocational Data machine, I'd seek for BOOTP Relay config on the core switch (or is there a DHCP server in the same VLAN?). Stack switch should simply pass through DHCP broadcast to the core switch and reach the server eventually (in the same VLAN or thanks to relaying).

Regarding ping of 10.33.224.1 not successful from 10.33.224.20, please confirm if your stack gets IP resolved ('show iparp') and if that MAC address is seen in the fdb ('show fdb vlan Vocational').

From what I understand you showed the right stack routing table (when all is settled along with ports added to Vocational_Data). Is it possible to see same config portion of the core switch?
And - maybe stupid, but I always try everything possible when things look magical on the switches - what if you tried to ping 10.33.224.1 from the right stack without 'from 10.33.224.20'?

If you can’t ping from the stack on the Vocational_Data VLAN and neither does end-system DHCP requests reach the router, it might be an L2 thing between them.

Just some shooting in the dark.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

P.S. To briefly wrap up: on the edge stack it should be enough to create two VLANs, add ports as tagged or untagged; on the core, the same + IP addresses + IP forwarding. And both subnet end-systems on the stack should be able to reach each other.

I'm not sure if I got all your steps correctly, let me try to move in a sequence. And a small precaution, I’m on low caffeine level when I write this. ;)

Perhaps there could have been an issue of having a loopback interface that is not routable and not being able to ping from it, how is the traffic supposed to egress this interface? I seek this as a possible explanation why you couldn't ping 10.33.224.1 from the stack based on the information provided. And when you removed the IP address from Vocational_Data vlan, HS_Data interface was used as per the default route and the core switch was able to reply.

Moving further, configuring IP and routes and adding ports to Vocational_Data seems perfectly fine. BTW please mind that if your stack is only going to be a switch (and IPs are applied for in-band mgmt purposes only), there won't be much effect for end-devices in putting default routes to the stack's routing table. It is only the switch that becomes able to possibly get to other subnets than the two configured on it.

Regarding no IP on connected Vocational Data machine, I'd seek for BOOTP Relay config on the core switch (or is there a DHCP server in the same VLAN?). Stack switch should simply pass through DHCP broadcast to the core switch and reach the server eventually (in the same VLAN or thanks to relaying).

Regarding ping of 10.33.224.1 not successful from 10.33.224.20, please confirm if your stack gets IP resolved ('show iparp') and if that MAC address is seen in the fdb ('show fdb vlan Vocational').

From what I understand you showed the right stack routing table (when all is settled along with ports added to Vocational_Data). Is it possible to see same config portion of the core switch?
And - maybe stupid, but I always try everything possible when things look magical on the switches - what if you tried to ping 10.33.224.1 from the right stack without 'from 10.33.224.20'?

If you can’t ping from the stack on the Vocational_Data VLAN and neither does end-system DHCP requests reach the router, it might be an L2 thing between them.

Just some shooting in the dark.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

P.S. To briefly wrap up: on the edge stack it should be enough to create two VLANs, add ports as tagged or untagged; on the core, the same + IP addresses + IP forwarding. And both subnet end-systems on the stack should be able to reach each other.

The MAC does not show up on on the stack for Vocational_Data. It does have an ip, but that’s because I assigned it. 

What is odd is that if I telnet into the core, I can see the ip of the stack Vocational_Data 10.33.224.20 and MAC address. But still no IP connectivity on the stack. 

Once I add an IP to Vocational_Data, I can no longer ping our dhcp server, the 10.33.224.1 (the core switch vlan for Vocational_data), or anything else unless I specify it is from the HS_Data vlan. 

DHCP is configured for the vlan Vocational_Data on the core, as well as ip and MAC. Everything seems to work fine on the core except show fdb vlan vocational on core: 

on the stack, nothing shows up for fdb on Vocational_Data 

but once I give the stack vlan Vocational an IP, the core can see the stack MAC and what port and vlan it’s on, but not the stack itself can see it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

When all VLANs are set with consistent IDs and egress tagging both sides, switches should see each other in their fdb (‘show fdb port’, ‘show fdb vlan’, you can also try to find a neighbor with show edp command) on both VLANs in that case. Once a PC gets an IP (or please try some static one for now) it should be seen on both devices as well.

There should be no such behavior that an IP address in a VLAN to alter the flooding behavior of a switch in case of broadcast traffic (ARP requests or DHCP in that case). It will only make that switch is also possible to perform IP-based communication within that VLAN (pings, telnet etc.).

Before IP set on Vocational VLAN, it will try to use the existing HS_Data-based default gateway (that was shown few posts above - assuming its still in place, perhaps it would be better to not put any default routes on the stack unless you want your stack to reach some outside networks thru just one of these VLANs).

After IP set on Vocational VLAN it will try to use that exact VLAN to egress. But it doesn’t work and you see no switches both sides in that VLAN fdb. I would double check tagging and VLAN ID itself just in case as this seems like an L2 thing. But if they are consistent I run out of ideas for the moment, vlan/port/ip config of both devices in an erroneous scenario would give much more visibility. Might there be some other protocol blocking the port in Vocational vlan (flags associated to the port number when issued ‘show vlan Vocational’)?

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

Core Switch 10.33.16.1 

HS_Data         400  10.33.64.1     /20  -f--------------------------  ANY    1                                /1   VR-Default

Vocational_Data 340  10.33.224.1    /20  -f--------------------------  ANY    1                                /1   VR-Default

SHOW PORT

48    HS-Vocational        (0002)              E     A     1000  FULL

show ipconfig
       Use Redirects : Disabled
  Ignore ICMP Bcasts : Enabled
       IpOption LSRR : Enabled
       IpOption SSRR : Enabled
         IpOption RR : Enabled
         IpOption TS : Enabled
         IpOption RA : Enabled
       Route Sharing : Disabled
   Route Compression : Disabled
  Originated Packets : Don't require ipforwarding
 Max Shared Gateways : Current: 4  Configured: 4
  Route Sharing Hash : CRC Lower
     Ping Protection : Enabled for static routes   Interval: 2   Misses: 3

IRDP:
         Advertisement Address: 255.255.255.255      Maximum Interval: 600
         Minimum Interval: 450     Lifetime: 1800  Preference: 0

Interface    IP Address          Flags                   nSIA
HS_Data      10.33.64.1      /20 EUf---MPuRX---------    0
Vocational_Data 10.33.224.1     /20 EUf---MPuRX---------    0

Flags: (A) Address Mask Reply Enabled (B) BOOTP Enabled
       (b) Broadcast Forwarding Enabled
       (D) Duplicate address detected on VLAN, (E) Interface Enabled
       (f) Forwarding Enabled (g) Ignore IP Broadcast Enabled
       (h) Directed Broadcast Forwarding by Hardware Enabled
       (I) IRDP Advertisement Enabled, (M) Send Parameter Problem Enabled
       (m) Multicast forwarding Enabled, (n) Multinetted VLAN
       (nSIA ) Number of Secondary IP Addresses
       (P) Send Port Unreachables Enabled, (R) Send Redirects Enabled
       (r) Unicast Reverse Path Enabled on at least one port of the VLAN
       (t) Tentative address, (T) Time Stamp Reply Enabled
       (u) Send Unreachables Enabled, (U) Interface Up
       (v) VRRP Enabled, (X) Send Time Exceeded Enabled

Bootprelay servers for virtual router "VR-Default":
    Destination: 10.253.33.10    10.253.33.12    10.33.16.219

DHCP/BOOTP relay statistics for virtual router "VR-Default"
    Received from client =   10885902  Received from server =   11906964
    Requests relayed     =   25865520  Responses relayed    =   11906964
    DHCP Discover        =    2423833  DHCP Offer           =    4478445
    DHCP Request         =    6596586  DHCP Ack             =    7401202
    DHCP Decline         =        639  DHCP NAck            =      27317
    DHCP Release         =        174
    DHCP Inform          =    1864608

configure bootprelay add 10.253.33.10 vr VR-Default
configure bootprelay add 10.253.33.12 vr VR-Default
configure bootprelay add 10.33.16.219 vr VR-Default
enable bootprelay ipv4 vlan HS_Data
enable bootprelay ipv4 vlan Vocational_Data
configure bootprelay vlan HS_Data add 10.253.33.10
configure bootprelay vlan HS_Data add 10.253.33.12
configure bootprelay vlan HS_Data add 10.33.16.219
configure bootprelay vlan Vocational_Data add 10.253.33.10
configure bootprelay vlan Vocational_Data add 10.253.33.12
configure bootprelay vlan Vocational_Data add 10.33.16.219

VLAN Interface with name Vocational_Data created by user
    Admin State:         Enabled     Tagging:   802.1Q Tag 340
    Description:         None
    Virtual router:      VR-Default
    IPv4 Forwarding:     Enabled
    IPv4 MC Forwarding:  Disabled
    Primary IP:          10.33.224.1/20
    IPv6 Forwarding:     Disabled
    IPv6 MC Forwarding:  Disabled
    IPv6:                None
    STPD:                None
    Protocol:            Match all unfiltered protocols
    Loopback:            Disabled
    NetLogin:            Disabled
    OpenFlow:            Disabled
    QosProfile:          None configured
    Egress Rate Limit Designated Port: None configured
    Flood Rate Limit QosProfile:       None configured
    Ports:   1.           (Number of active ports=1)
       Tag:   *48(HS-Vocational)
        Flags:    (*) Active, (!) Disabled, (g) Load Sharing port
                  (b) Port blocked on the vlan, (m) Mac-Based port
                  (a) Egress traffic allowed for NetLogin
                  (u) Egress traffic unallowed for NetLogin
                  (t) Translate VLAN tag for Private-VLAN

VLAN Interface with name HS_Data created by user
    Admin State:         Enabled     Tagging:   802.1Q Tag 400
    IPv4 Forwarding:     Enabled
    Primary IP:          10.33.64.1/20
       Untag: *48(HS-Vocational)
                  (b) Port blocked on the vlan, (m) Mac-Based port
                  (a) Egress traffic allowed for NetLogin
                  (u) Egress traffic unallowed for NetLogin

Stack config: 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Default         1    ------------------------------------------------  ANY    0 /0   VR-Default
HS_Data         400  10.33.64.16    /20  ------------T---------------  ANY    63/364 VR-Default
Mgmt            4095 ------------------------------------------------  ANY    0 /1   VR-Mgmt
Vocational_Data 340  10.33.224.16   /20  ----------------------------  ANY    1 /1   VR-Default

#s   Default Route      10.33.64.1      1    UG---S-um--f- HS_Data    1d:10h:38m:1s
#s   Default Route      10.33.224.1     1    UG---S-um---- Vocational_Data 0d:0h:0m:39s
#d   10.33.64.0/20      10.33.64.16     1    U------um--f- HS_Data    1d:10h:38m:9s
#d   10.33.224.0/20     10.33.224.16    1    U------um--f- Vocational_Data 0d:0h:0m:48s

Origin(Ori): (ap) Auto-peering, (b) BlackHole, (be) EBGP, (bg) BGP, (bi) IBGP,
             (bo) BOOTP,(ct) CBT, (d) Direct, (df) DownIF, (dv) DVMRP,
             (e1) ISISL1Ext, (e2) ISISL2Ext, (h) Hardcoded,  (hm) Host-mobility
             (i) ICMP,(i1) ISISL1 (i2) ISISL2,(is) ISIS, (mb) MBGP,
             (mbe) MBGPExt, (mbi) MBGPInter, (mp) MPLS Lsp,
             (mo) MOSPF (o) OSPF, (o1) OSPFExt1, (o2) OSPFExt2,(oa) OSPFIntra
             (oe) OSPFAsExt, (or) OSPFInter, (pd) PIM-DM, (ps) PIM-SM,
             (r) RIP, (ra) RtAdvrt, (s) Static, (sv) SLB_VIP, (un) UnKnown,
             (*) Preferred unicast route (@) Preferred multicast route,
             (#) Preferred unicast and multicast route.

Flags: (b) BFD protection requested, (B) BlackHole, (c) Compressed, (D) Dynamic,
       (f) Provided to FIB, (G) Gateway, (H) Host Route,
       (I) ICMP ping protection requested, (l) Calculated LDP LSP,
       (L) Matching LDP LSP, (m) Multicast, (p) BFD protection active,
       (P) LPM-routing, (R) Modified, (s) Static LSP, (S) Static,
       (t) Calculated RSVP-TE LSP, (T) Matching RSVP-TE LSP, (u) Unicast,
       (U) Up, (3) L3VPN Route.

MPLS Label: (S) Bottom of Label Stack
Mask distribution:
     2 default routes                2 routes at length 20

Route Origin distribution:
     2 routes from Direct               2 routes from Static

Total number of routes = 4
Total number of compressed routes = 0

6:47                          (0002)              E     A     1000   FULL

VLAN Interface with name Vocational_Data created by user
    Admin State:         Enabled     Tagging:   802.1Q Tag 340
    IPv4 Forwarding:     Disabled
    Primary IP:          10.33.224.16/20
    Suppress ARP:        Disabled
    Proxy ARP:           Entry required
       Tag:     *6:47

I’m out of ideas lol, but thank you for all of your help…. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Yeah, so the config of your VLANs and ports seems fine to me…

Regarding bootprelay it is enough to just enable bootprelay on data and DHCP-facing VLANs and to add the destinations. But I would check the communication for a client station with static IP first, to cut off potential bootprelay/dhcp issues behind these two VLANs that should clearly be routed with no issue.

Regarding stack default routes - are they needed?

If you find that useful, we could set up some remote session tomorrow evening (evening in GMT/UTC/CET time zone). Or please call GTAC if it became urgent after these few days.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

Yeah, so the config of your VLANs and ports seems fine to me…

Regarding bootprelay it is enough to just enable bootprelay on data and DHCP-facing VLANs and to add the destinations. But I would check the communication for a client station with static IP first, to cut off potential bootprelay/dhcp issues behind these two VLANs that should clearly be routed with no issue.

Regarding stack default routes - are they needed?

If you find that useful, we could set up some remote session tomorrow evening (evening in GMT/UTC/CET time zone). Or please call GTAC if it became urgent after these few days.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

Sounds great! If you can PM me I can PM you contact information.