"rate-limit egress" logging - can it be done?

Userlevel 5
I'm (successfully) limiting egress rates on select ports of my 460s via "config port 29 rate-limit egress 5000 Kbps" (set low for test purposes)

Now I'd like to somehow log when a port hits the ceiling, so-to-speak, and I can't find anything. I've read through the EMS Messages Catalog (and the various sh log counters...) lines and just didn't find anything that might get logged when the egress limit of a port is being hit. HAL.Port.RateLimit seems to only apply to flood limits, and I think that's something different (broad/multicasts and unknown), and that counter stayed at 0.

Is there really no way to log that? If not, is there a way to either send an snmp-trap (or query something in SNMP) - and I admit, I haven't looked at the MIB - from our monitoring server?

Thank you much!

Frank

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Frank,

SNMP trap "extremeRateLimitExceededAlarm," which is listed under EXTREME-PORT-MIB, can be used to notify the first time a poll of a rate-limited port has a non-zero counter. The OID for extremeRateLimitExceededAlarm is .1.3.6.1.4.1.1916.1.4.16.

-Andrew
Userlevel 5
Andrew Maldonado wrote:

Frank,

SNMP trap "extremeRateLimitExceededAlarm," which is listed under EXTREME-PORT-MIB, can be used to notify the first time a poll of a rate-limited port has a non-zero counter. The OID for extremeRateLimitExceededAlarm is .1.3.6.1.4.1.1916.1.4.16.

-Andrew

Thank you so much!!!
Userlevel 5
I'm missing something. I'm using 15.5.2.9
I am getting traps (for instance logging in with a bad password), so I know that I did at least something right.

Next: configure ports 5:29 rate-limit egress 50 Kbps
I know, insanely low, but makes it easy to test, I thought.
Tried to transfer a large file to the server connected to 5:29. Yup, slow as molasses, so rate-limiting does work.

However: no trap received, no trap sent (as far as I can tell)

I fear there's something that I need to set, but I don't understand what the documentation is trying to tell me (regarding snmpNotifyTable, tags, tag-lists, and what-not).

If anyone could shed some light as to what I'd have to do to get this working, please? Or point me to useful examples?

Thanks,
Frank
Userlevel 5
I know, resurrecting an old thread of mine:
How do I enable the switch to send a trap when the port-rate egress limit (and/or burst) is exceeded or met. Or can I get a syslog entry when that happens?
My port is set to: "config port 5:29 rate-limit egress 1000 Kbps max-burst-size 1000 Kb"

- what do I have to do to enable sending of the trap (if the trap is implemented yet)
- what do I have to do to enable logging of this event (didn't find it in the slightly incomplete EMS Message Catalog, didn't find it in the log filter list either - but it's quite possible I'm looking for the wrong expression)
- do I need to do something completely different if I want to know when a port's max. configured rate is being reached? (no fancy QoS, just basic rate-limit)

My syslog server does receive syslogs properly, and also receives other Extreme OS snmp traps fine.

Thanks for your help!
how do you check and verify that egress rate limit is work as expected ??!