XOS update, how to activate new version?

Userlevel 3
Hi,

I just downloaded v.16.1.1.4 xos and ssh images to x440 and rebooted the switch. The documents I read says when I reboot the new firmware activates. But after rebooting it is still using ver. 15.2.

So how can I use new version?

Current State: OPERATIONAL Image Selected: primary
Image Booted: primary
Primary ver: 15.2.1.5
Secondary ver: 16.1.1.4

Config Selected: primary.cfg
Config Booted: primary.cfg

primary.cfg Created by ExtremeXOS version 15.2.1.5
127187 bytes saved on Wed Aug 5 19:41:39 2015

9 replies

Userlevel 2
use image secondary
Then reboot
Userlevel 3
andreas wrote:

use image secondary
Then reboot

Thanks andreas it works. It should be added to documentation.
andreas wrote:

use image secondary
Then reboot

Hi,

I believe the idea is that the newly installed image should be selected automatically, but this sometimes fail for some reason.

Known bug?
Userlevel 7
andreas wrote:

use image secondary
Then reboot

When you download the image, you are being asked if you want to make this version the active one.

VM1.1 # download image 192.168.56.1 bd10Ki386-16.1.1.4.xos
Debug information files are present in internal-memory.
These files will be removed if you continue with download.
Do you want to continue with download and remove existing files from internal-memory? (y/N) Yes
Note: The inactive partition (secondary) will be used for installation.
Do you want to install image after downloading? (y - yes, n - no, - cancel) [/code]If you say Yes, you should reboot on that new version.
andreas wrote:

use image secondary
Then reboot

Exactly, but this doesn't always work.
I usually run 'show switch' after installing a new image. But even if I notice that the new images is not selected and try to run 'use image ' the command does nothing.
When this issue occurs I have to reboot the switch once and then run the 'use image ' command for it to "stick".
Userlevel 3
andreas wrote:

use image secondary
Then reboot

Stephane, I said "yes" to that question. But as Daniel said it did not used new FW after reboot.
Userlevel 7
andreas wrote:

use image secondary
Then reboot

Interesting. I never ran into that situation.
Userlevel 6
I am aware of a known issue in the previous versions which exhibited this behaviour.
use image " command is neglected after downloading the EXOS image and SSH.xmod file one after the other.

I will test this in the lab in 16.1.1.4 and see if the behaviour can be replicated. Will keep you updated.
Userlevel 4
Rahman,

The behavior experienced is due to a known bug that has been addressed in later code. Here is a GTAC article with more information regarding the bug.

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/After-downloading-and-installing-SSH-mod...

-Andrew