Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

G1 versus G2

Userlevel 1
Difference Between G1 & G2 series switches (in general)?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi,
in general, you have newer gen of ASIC on G2 (obviously), that could provide new features/connectivity option depending on the platforms, greatly improved control plane environment (CPU/RAM/Stockage), G2 run on the 21/22 train of EXOS which give access to many new capabilities.
Userlevel 7
Hi,

in addition to Stephane's answer, the G2 ASICs provide much larger forwarding table sizes than the equivalent G1 ASICs.

Thanks,
Erik
How can you tell if your x460 is a g1 or g2?
Userlevel 7
Robert Cohen wrote:

It's part of the model number and is printed on the front of the switch. From the CLI, you can see this from
code:

show switch

Userlevel 7
Robert Cohen wrote:

Just to add, the "G1" platforms are not actually labelled as such. Once the G2 platforms were released, the "G1" term was retroactively (and unofficially) applied to the X440/X460/X670/X670V platforms.
Userlevel 1
I'm looking in our EMC for G2 and not finding anything. I'm trying to upgrade my existing switches but having a hard time telling which ones I have. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Userlevel 1
Ted wrote:

I'm looking in our EMC for G2 and not finding anything. I'm trying to upgrade my existing switches but having a hard time telling which ones I have. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

I got this figured out. EMC showed it fine. I only have 3 g2's and they weren't talking to EMC yet. doh!