Solved

segmented management on 5520 running VOSS

• Participator
  • 5 replies

Hi, has anybody gotten a 5520 running VOSS and acting as a router with two routed interfaces (VLANs with IPs) to have the segmented management VLAN be accessible from both sides of the router?  I created VLANs A and B on the 5520, assigned (public, routable) IPs to them, and then created a segmented management VLAN, and gave it an IP on the same subnet as VLAN A, with VLAN A’s IP address as it’s default route.

I can SSH to the segmented management VLAN address, but ONLY when I’m physically connected to anything on VLAN A side of the router, including devices going through another router that connects the VLAN A.  Anything on VLAN B or connected to the VLAN B side, cannot SSH to the segmented management VLAN address.

icon

Best answer by LionelH 8 March 2021, 14:05

Hello,

I found my mistake, Router ISIS SPBM Ip wasn’t activate with IP shortcut as source.

Now Clip are working fine around the network.

Regards,

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5

With segmented mgmt with a VLAN the IP is treated just as a mgmt address.  Not a routed address.  You need to make sure that you give the MGMT VLAN IP a default route.

4901:1(mgmt:vlan)#ip route ?
  {A.B.C.D/X}  Ip address/subnet mask
  {A.B.C.D}    IP address
4901:1(mgmt:vlan)#ip route

Userlevel 5

better example

mgmt vlan 192 

ip address 192.168.2.7/24

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 192.168.2.1 weight 200

enable

exit

Yes, I gave the VLAN A IP address as the default route for the segmented management VLAN interface.  I could only SSH to the seg mgmt IP from the VLAN A IP and other networks connected to the VLAN A side.  I could not SSH from the VLAN B IP nor any other network connected to the VLAN B side

Userlevel 5

can you dump the config for us please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Chi,

From the doc:

The mgmt IP and the VLAN A IP must match if I not mistaking.

The default gateway is the one defined on your switch and not the VLAN A’s IP

Mig

Userlevel 5

just a thought….

if your network is routed, just use a CLIP for mgmt.

mgmt clip vrf GlobalRouter
ip address 172.17.49.1/32
enable

Userlevel 5

The point raised is that a mgmt VLAN IP cannot be reached if the same VSP is required to IP route the packet to the mgmt VLAN. This is documented as a limitation. The point is that if the VSP is acting as an IP router, then you should not be using a mgmt vlan IP but a mgmt clip instead.

See the attached slides, slide 19.

Hello,

I’m in the exact same situation.

We have 2 VOSS VSP4900 acting as network core and L3 for all our VLAN.

We cannot access the VSP in the Vlan as before.

I understand we must now use CLIP mgmt, but is somebody know how to configure CLIP MGMT Interface ?

It as to be /32, and how the CLIP Mgmt IP can be reach from other Vlan ?

Thanks for explanation,

Regards,

Hello,

I found my mistake, Router ISIS SPBM Ip wasn’t activate with IP shortcut as source.

Now Clip are working fine around the network.

Regards,

just a thought….

if your network is routed, just use a CLIP for mgmt.

mgmt clip vrf GlobalRouter
ip address 172.17.49.1/32
enable

Both sides of the router have publicly routable IP addresses, so I would need to get another IP from the ISP and have them route to it.  But the end customer doesn’t really want to do that.