Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks
Solved

Can't access devices through EDM since Firefox update 64.0

• 21 December 2018
  • 25 replies

We're running a lot of ERS4500 series switches ( just under 100) with Avaya v5.7.2.012 firmware. Also a small number of ERS3500 that are experiencing the same issue and our ERS8800 with Firmware 7.1.5.2

Since the Firefox browser update to V64.0 we are unable to access any of the switches using EDM. After the initial login completes it shows '"Discovering Device, please wait' but never progresses.

We have found that devices with Extreme branded firmware :v5.3.8.014 are still working.

When we open the Firefox Web Developer - Debug console we see a message like the following;
TypeError: webServerName is undefined[Learn More] edmContentJs.js:1631:299
icon

Best answer by fkroeger 28 June 2019, 12:58

Since the fix (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1398718) in Firefox 64 is only a configuration change (https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D6589), it can be changed back.

Simply insert about:config in the address bar, accept the warning and search for dom.xhr.lowercase_header.enabled and double click it in order to set it to false.

With this change EDM on 5600's is accessible with the newest MFF version.
View original

25 replies

We are having the same issue since the Firefox update.
My work around at the moment is to downgrade to 63.0.3 and then set it not to auto-update. I've stuck it on a Virtual Machine we use just for remote management. That's a reasonable solution for us as we don't use EDM so much but we couldn't do without it either.

You can find the download here.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox?cache=no
Thanks! Your mention VM made me think for a sec.

Our VM updates are handled differently than our physical machines, so fortunately our VM's still work. Just a bit of hassle if i'm not in that VM already.

Yeah, EDM is easier for some things, CLi for others, its an odd mix.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
Running an old version of browser is never a good idea in my books (band aid yes, fix no).
IE 11 and edge works but might as well be running old firefox.

Having the same issue with firefox V64 on 4900
sysDescr: Ethernet Routing Switch 4950GTS-PWR+
HW:02 FW:7.4.0.8 SW:v7.4.0.009
Mfg Date:20160902 HW Dev:
Operational Software: FW:7.4.0.8 SW:v7.4.0.009
Installed software: FW:7.4.0.8 SW:v7.4.0.009

but not
sysDescr: Ethernet Routing Switch 4950GTS-PWR+
HW:02 FW:7.5.0.2 SW:v7.5.0.007
Mfg Date:20160902 HW Dev:
Operational Software: FW:7.5.0.2 SW:v7.5.0.007
Installed software: FW:7.5.0.2 SW:v7.5.0.007
Isn't the problem with the certificates and that firefox blockx the certs which use older technology?
It was the same problem in the Avaya era where you were always trailing behind with your browsers.

Perhaps in the latest software it is fixed and the webgui will use newer certs, but I am not sure about this.
For the VSP this was the same problem that TLS 1.2 was not supported and we needed to wait for a specific version to get it supported and working in all browsers at that point.
Userlevel 2
Unfortunately Microsoft, Google and the Mozilla group are constantly updating their browsers.
ERS4500 and ERS8800 are both End of Software support. It is not the switch's fault.
ERS4500 last release was v5.7.3 and ERS800 was v7.2.26. There is still hardware support but for updates, you should be running the last version.

ERS3500 is still being updated. I believe 5.3.9 is the last release. it will have better browser support.
Along with the ERS4800/4900/5900 and all VOSS switches, as their OS's are being updated regularly.

As a workaround I keep an 12-14year old laptop running a 5year old LINUX distro. And I just never update the browser.
Userlevel 2
Running an old version of browser is never a good idea in my books (band aid yes, fix no).

Agree. As a workaround I keep an 12-14yr old laptop running a 5yo version of Xubuntu. Very solid.
And I just keep the laptop air-gapped when its not in use. I only use it when I have to. I only use it to visit the web-interfaces for switches I control.
For what it's worth, Firefox ESR 60.4.0esr resolved this issue for us.
Firefox v64 added/fixed Bug 1398718
This change how MFF browser manipulate response headers -> XMLHttpRequest.

Due to this browser API change, EDM (as a client application) on older ERS releases (e.g. 8800) it's no longer processing server response.

To bypass this you can:
a. Use IE11/Edge browsers instead of latest Firefox (current v64);
b. Downgrade MFF to v63 if want to use this browser instead of Microsoft flavors;
c. Update box image to latest version. Some releases have already support for latest MFF or Chrome browser.
Unfortunately Microsoft, Google and the Mozilla group are constantly updating their browsers.
ERS4500 and ERS8800 are both End of Software support. It is not the switch's fault.
ERS4500 last release was v5.7.3 and ERS800 was v7.2.26. There is still hardware support but for updates, you should be running the last version.

ERS3500 is still being updated. I believe 5.3.9 is the last release. it will have better browser support.
Along with the ERS4800/4900/5900 and all VOSS switches, as their OS's are being updated regularly.

As a workaround I keep an 12-14year old laptop running a 5year old LINUX distro. And I just never update the browser.

Paul
This behaviour is even evident on ERS4950GTS with 7.1.0.007 and VSP 8404 with 6.1.1.0 and ERS5952GTS with 7.4.0.10
So even our newest switches have this issue.
Do you know if Extreme is going to be addressing this issue?
* EDM on ERS49/59xx platforms fixed this along 7.5.0.0. Please update to any of 7.5.x or 7.6.x.
* EDM on VSP/VOSS platforms starting with 6.1.3.0 do full support Firefox & Chrome browsers. Please update to any of 6.1.3 or above 7.x -> 8.0.

As previous note, the issue seen in EDM along Firefox v64 is due to an internal browser API change. Mozilla Firefox is moving to align more and more with Chrome browser for internal APIs.
We have the same Problem with Avaya Switches 3500 Series.
My workaround is using Waterfox with today's up-to-date-Version 56.2.8 (64Bit)
Other Browsers with actual Versions like Firefox, Windows Edge, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer doesn't work.
I hope this Tip will help you.
We have the same Problem with Avaya Switches 3500 Series.
My workaround is using Waterfox with today's up-to-date-Version 56.2.8 (64Bit)
Other Browsers with actual Versions like Firefox, Windows Edge, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer doesn't work.
I hope this Tip will help you.

EDM on ERS 3500 works with latest Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome starting with version SW: 5.3.5.0.
If possible, upgrade to any version (5.3.5.0 - 5.3.9.0) in order to use current flavors of most used browsers.
Extreme really NEEDS to fix this issue AND include new appropriate firmware versions for their ERS4500's, ERS4800's, ERS5600's
They can't expect clients to run an old version of Firefox just because they still have 4800's in their network. We are going to have 4800's in our network for YEARS yet.

So do the right thing, Extreme and give us an updated firmware for the 4500's, 4800's and 5600's to fix this issue.
unless you are not serious about network security - then just ignore this issue as you are.
Userlevel 2
@jguenther

Unfortunately ERS4500, 5500 and 5600 fell out of Software Support as of May 2016. As software service has closed and we can not go back and revisit those releases for any enhancements, patches, fixes. Their respected last software releases is their final release.

The ERS4800 is still under Software support.
page 25 details the supported browsers.
https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/Release_Notes/ERS_Series/ERS4800/9035512_ERS4800ReleaseNotes_5.12_RN.pdf

If you are still experiencing issues, I would recommend making a GTAC ticket.

As for your newer switches, VSP and ERS4900/5900. I really recommend upgrading the ERS to 7.6. And your VSP/VOSS switches to 7.1.1.1 or 8.0.0.0

ERS4900/5900 supports the following in v7.6
"EDM has been tested with the following web browsers: Browser Version Microsoft Internet Explore, Windows 7 11.0.9600.18537 Mozilla Firefox, Windows 7 52.0 Google Chrome, Windows 7 57.0.2987.98 Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 20.10240.17146.0"

VOSS v8.0
• "Microsoft Edge 41.16299.15.0 • Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 • Mozilla Firefox 58.0.2 • Google Chrome 64.0.3282.140"
Paul,

The 4900's, and 5900's on the latest release does resolve the browser issue, but the 4800's on the latest 5.12 does not resolve the browser issue.
The RN state that it has been tested with Firefox 45.x It actually works till Firefox 63.0.3

OK, I can understand that the 4500's and 5600's may not be upgraded. It will only be about 2 years till I get them all renewed and replaced. But the 4800, will be around for a LONG time.
I do have plans to replace the 5600's in a renewal cycle. But the 4500's are in various stables, arenas, farm buildings with very low requirements. I guess I get to spend $10'sK of scare public funded $$$ to replace what is perfectly good - except for this silly browser issue.
@jguenther
ERS4800 are running without issues since SW:5.11.1.0, even a confirmation EDM notice (informational) over browsers like Edge or Chrome (as not supported) is displayed.
Starting 5.13.0.0 all current browsers are supported without issues.

Please always use latest supported SW and do clean/full refresh browser before running a new SW/EDM version.

If any other issues, please raise a GTAC ticket.
@Florian - Thanks for the update on 5.13.x
Our entire fleet of 4800's are currently on 5.12.x We will setup a test with the newest version of Firefox and try the EDM on those switches.

We'll give it a try.

AND it is great to know that the firmwares are still be updated for the 4800's series.

Thank-you
I like it.

Please always use latest supported SW and do clean/full refresh browser before running a new SW/EDM version.

@Florian Do you have any idea when 5.13.x will be released. I just logged in an looked at the available downloads for the ERS4800's. The latest version is 5.12.2.001 from Dec 2018 - which is what we are running.

Any ETA on 5.13?

Joe

@Florian Do you have any idea when 5.13.x will be released. I just logged in an looked at the available downloads for the ERS4800's. The latest version is 5.12.2.001 from Dec 2018 - which is what we are running.

Any ETA on 5.13?

Joe

Current release SW:5.12.2.011 do support all browsers as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge.
EDM version released is 36124.
Always full refresh over browser tab when loading a new EDM version.
Current release SW:5.12.2.011 do support all browsers as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge. EDM version released is 36124. Always full refresh over browser tab when loading a new EDM version.

Thanks @Florian
I have confirmed that the newest version of Firefox 66.0.2 DOES work with all the 4800's, 4900's, 5900's and the VSP 8404's that we have in our network.

I guess we'll have to put up with old Firefox until we can replace our 4500's and 5600's ... which could still be a few years.
So its nice that Extreme has addressed the issue SOMEWHAT ... it still leaves a lot of shops with security vulnerabilities due to being forced to run old browsers for their network administrators. So its a good effort, but not complete IMHO

thanks for your help and guidance, Florian
Joe
My work around at the moment is to downgrade to 63.0.3 and then set it not to auto-update. I've stuck it on a Virtual Machine we use just for remote management. That's a reasonable solution for us as we don't use EDM so much but we couldn't do without it either.

You can find the download here.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox?cache=no

Hey guys thanks for the info it was very much helpful. I have found a video on YouTube that allows to have two instances of Firefox installed, so the older version can be setup to just access the switches while the newer one can be used for normal day to day acticities. Fixes both issues.

How to install 2 different versions of firefox in the same computer - YouTube
Since the fix (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1398718) in Firefox 64 is only a configuration change (https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D6589), it can be changed back.

Simply insert about:config in the address bar, accept the warning and search for dom.xhr.lowercase_header.enabled and double click it in order to set it to false.

With this change EDM on 5600's is accessible with the newest MFF version.
THAT is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!
works like a charm.

This does not work anymore. They removed the configuration option in Firefox 69/70.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1504344