Virtual Lab Fabric Connect

Userlevel 5
Hi,

Simple question... Is there a means to run Extreme Fabric Connect in a virtual environment?

Main reason is for me to get better familiar with the command-line and lab a virtual network without having to purchase the hardware?

If so, any instructions on how to install it.

Many thanks

30 replies

Hello Martin,
there are rumors that there will be a VM with VOSS availible soon. I have no futher infomation on that.

Cheers

André
Userlevel 5
Thanks Andre.

Had heard that some might have been able to get it running on a Linux system?!

Anyone heard of that or know how it might be done.... be useful in the short-term as I really could do with readily getting my hands on it to solidify my memory :)

Cheers.
I'm hopping for years to see something like gns3 running VOSS os - maybe Extreme is going to release something or at least to help the gns3 community to get it done
Userlevel 7
I'm told that we're waiting on legal's approval to release the virtual image for VOSS and GNS3. There's a private repository on GitHub ready to go when they give us the greenlight. I'll share it here and probably in a new announcement when it hits the streets.
That’s great Drew. Can’t wait for it 😉
Userlevel 7
I'm just going to leave this right here...
https://github.com/extremenetworks/Virtual_VOSS
Userlevel 5

Nice one, thanks Drew!
Userlevel 6

Thanks - nice link!
Thanks a lot Drew! You are the man :)
I've tried the whole setup using vmware player and I had some problems - i'm thinking the vix API didn't worked as expected. In the end I've switched to a demo workstation and worked without any issues.
Now I need to review the ACE FX papers - after almost 2 yeast i'm factory restored :))
Userlevel 7
I've tried the whole setup using vmware player and I had some problems - i'm thinking the vix API didn't worked as expected. In the end I've switched to a demo workstation and worked without any issues.
Now I need to review the ACE FX papers - after almost 2 yeast i'm factory restored :))

I'll give the credit to Stephen Williams... maybe he'll show up in this thread. He spent the time in GNS3 making this work.

It would be super nice to have Stephen with us also - maybe he will be able to give me some help with the problem below:
I've been trying to build some very basic scenarios in GNS3 using the VOSS switches without too much luck. I was able to create the SPBM infrastructure - it looks to work as expected, but no luck when I'm trying to add services on top of the infrastructure. I was unable to create a simple L2VSN between two access ports attached to two PCs (VPCS in GNS3) and also the IP Shortcuts works just to ping from one VOSS to the one directly attached to it - ping to another VOSS switch located two hops away fails, even though the routing table is populated by IS-IS as expected.
Maybe I'm missing something?!

Hi Vali, same issues here, configuringthe fabric works also verification shows no problems. But pinging between access devices via L2VSNs is not working and also pinging between switches, only directly connected devices can ping eachother.
regards Thomas

Good to know, at least is not my fault :))
Userlevel 7

there's no datapath, so ping is not working. This is normal.

@Stephane, can you, please, give us more details? What do you meen by "no datapath"?
Userlevel 7

I meant dataplane. As there's no ASIC to run the code on it, obviously, we would need to simulate one in software. This is the dataplane. In this first release, there's no dataplane, so you cannot ping across the fabric, etc. All you can do is control plane configuration and see if the protocols look good.

It wasn't that obvious as I was able to ping the next hop's IP interface - I would say there is no forwarding engine than no datapath.
Any clues when this is going to happen and the simulator will be able to forward traffic?
Userlevel 7

No idea, sorry.
Userlevel 2

pure IP routing datapath should work today, but MACinMAC datapath will be added towards the end of this year

Apart from IP routing, L2VSN ping (with MACinMAC header) also works fine between two directly connected SPB nodes. This limited functionality was enabled to give the users the glimpse of MAC in MAC encapsulated packet which they can capture and analyze. Complete datapath support will come in future releases.

Hi Vali,

VIX only works with earlier version of vmplayer (v12 from memory), so it's better not to use it at all.

The best approach is to install GNS3 GUI client only on your PC and run GNS3 VM either on vmplayer/workstation or ESXi host.

Nice and clean this way.

Thanks,

Gates

We fully understand the need for data plane. A decision was made to get control plane first and then data place to follow.

So, at this point, you can use the VOSS VM current release (corresponding to VOSS 7.0.0) to:

1. Get familiar with CLI, EDM and SNMP (fully functional) from management's perspective
2. Use it as hands-on workshop companion to refresh your memory
3. Valid your configuration command syntax by loading up your configuration
4. Go through the new features of V7.0

Something else need to beware of:

1. Currently, if there is a newer version of VOSS VM being release, you need to re-create the appliances and each instances (we know it's a pain, we are also working hard to address this)
2. Features utilizing special L2VSN for control-plane distribution (such as Dynamic Virtual Routing - DVR and Zero Touch Fabric - ZTF) are not supported (for obvious reason).

We do hope that you find the VOSS VM useful.

Thanks,

Gates

We fully understand the need for data plane. A decision was made to get control plane first and then data place to follow.

So, at this point, you can use the VOSS VM current release (corresponding to VOSS 7.0.0) to:

1. Get familiar with CLI, EDM and SNMP (fully functional) from management's perspective
2. Use it as hands-on workshop companion to refresh your memory
3. Valid your configuration command syntax by loading up your configuration
4. Go through the new features of V7.0

Something else need to beware of:

1. Currently, if there is a newer version of VOSS VM being release, you need to re-create the appliances and each instances (we know it's a pain, we are also working hard to address this)
2. Features utilizing special L2VSN for control-plane distribution (such as Dynamic Virtual Routing - DVR and Zero Touch Fabric - ZTF) are not supported (for obvious reason).

We do hope that you find the VOSS VM useful.

Thanks,

Gates

Thanks Gates for information. Do you have any idea if the ACLs filters are supposed to work? I’ve been trying to update myself with how filters work on VOSS as they have nothing to do with the way they worked on ERS family.

The VOSS VM will take ACLs filters, either from CLI, SNMP or EDM.

However, since the limitation on data plane, they are not to be tested against live traffic.