Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks
Question

Apple MacBook Sierra Wireless WIFI 5GHZ

MacBook running HighSierra in wireless 5Ghz very instable in access-points 3825, 3805, 3912 with controller C25 running v10.31.04 ou v10.31.04.

After a week of testes the best solution is: Disable 5Ghz and use the 2.4Ghz interface Only

72 replies

Userlevel 2
What kind of problems are you having- unable to connect, disconnect, no internet access ?
JP wrote:

What kind of problems are you having- unable to connect, disconnect, no internet access ?

In the laptop the Wifi maintains connected but with no Internet. Clients have to disconnect and connect again
WHAT!? I beg to differ! I have not had ANY issues with my MBP using High Sierra. Well, none that I would contribute directly to some defect. My entire environment is 3825 and 3935s.
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

WHAT!? I beg to differ! I have not had ANY issues with my MBP using High Sierra. Well, none that I would contribute directly to some defect. My entire environment is 3825 and 3935s.

Are you running v10.31.04 ou v10.31.04 ?
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

v10.31.05
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

Hmm, I have seen that in areas where 5 Ghz signal is not strong. What are you getting for a RSS from the AP and the client perspective? What are your power levels? I have seen this also when the power level of the AP is at 24 dB or something. The client can hear it but can't talk back 100% of the time.
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

This is a school with one access-point per room, the iMAC is on the table and the access-point in the ceiling.
The first indicator of problems, pings .... In an Lab with and access-point 3825 with only this client. You see the diference between 2.4ghz and 5Ghz.

Userlevel 1
Valter - unless something changed on the Wireless network configuration on the MBP, we would need to see the AP trace log report to further determine if this is an issue with our APs. Have you opened a Case with our Support Team?
Scott Whall wrote:

Valter - unless something changed on the Wireless network configuration on the MBP, we would need to see the AP trace log report to further determine if this is an issue with our APs. Have you opened a Case with our Support Team?

Yes I have open a case 01381969. The case has all the information and files.
Userlevel 4
Scott Whall wrote:

He has - 01381969
Userlevel 1
Scott Whall wrote:

OK - I just took a brief look at the settings, and there are a few that should be changed. Sam owns the case, and he will be sending out an update shortly.
Can you post your AP advanced settings for 5 ghz radio?
I have been testing for a week, changing all settings and features, enabling , disabling, can you do Send me your working AP advanced 5 GHz radio settings ?

Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

Why RTS/CTS Threshold 256 ?
Userlevel 1
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

Recommendation is to use RTS/CTS of 2346.
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

{previously linked article has been archived}
Userlevel 1
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

Thanks for finding that Jeremy. Since the date that this article was published, we have found that the 256 setting did not resolve the issues we were troubleshooting. We have been working on removing all references to this setting since. Also - this article was in response to specific Chromebook problems, and not intended for other client devices.
What is the DTIM value? If it's 5, set it to 2.
Also, these settings are what I found to be best based on survey info in my area. So, our MBR and RSS thresholds will be different fyi.
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

Also, these settings are what I found to be best based on survey info in my area. So, our MBR and RSS thresholds will be different fyi.

Will try your settings this night. tomorow I will update.
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

Also, let us know what Extreme GTAC suggests here in this post, so it can help others! Thanks!
Jeremy Gibbs wrote:

Jeremy, tested with similar settings... the same.

This is and Access-Point with only 1 Client.

When I disable the 5Ghz the client moves to 2.4Ghz.

Userlevel 5
Just curious - is the Management Frame Protection is Enabled on WLAN ?