Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

CAPTIVE PORTAL IN WS-C35


Userlevel 1
Hi all,
I creat a Guest Portal Services with guide: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-create-a-Guest-Portal-Service

Network diagram:



Step1: Creat a topology:


Step 2: Creat Role

- Non Authentication Role:


- Authentication Roles:



Step 3: Creat a WLAN Services




Step 4: Creat VNS



Problem: After config. I test by my laptop. My laptop has IP Address. But When I open a web browser and put in any valid webpage address, I can't redirect to the captive portal webpage of the controller.



Please, help me!!
Thanks so much.

13 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi, most important is that you can reach the DNS from the Network. Did you test if you can reach it from the controller? br Peter
Userlevel 4
Hi,

The guest portal configuration is correct. Please check for the DNS resolution from client side(cmd -> nslookup). The DNS resolution should be working fine for the captive portal redirection.

Regards,
Nathiya M
Userlevel 3
Do you get a login page when you type in the IP address of the Controller on your browser?
Userlevel 1
Jacob, Praveen wrote:

Do you get a login page when you type in the IP address of the Controller on your browser?

Do you get a login page when you type in the IP address of the Controller on your browser?--> No, Captive portal does not appear.
Userlevel 7
Let's do it step by step.....

1) Make sure that the basic network access is working - bypass the CP
in GUI > VNS > Virtual Network > GUEST
set non-authenticated and authenticated to Guest_Captive_authen
Q: could you access the internet with the wireless client

2) DNS
change the value back in 1)
open a DOS window on the client and ping extreme.networks.com
Q: does the name resultion work = do you see the 104.154.197.154 address

Example:



3) open a browser and go to 10.10.10.10
Q: are you redirected to the portal

4) add another rule to the non-auth role
I can't remember the exact issue but it was necessary to also allow ARP
You'd try whether that helps, add the 0x806 rule....



Cheers,
Ron
Userlevel 1
Ron wrote:

Let's do it step by step.....

1) Make sure that the basic network access is working - bypass the CP
in GUI > VNS > Virtual Network > GUEST
set non-authenticated and authenticated to Guest_Captive_authen
Q: could you access the internet with the wireless client

2) DNS
change the value back in 1)
open a DOS window on the client and ping extreme.networks.com
Q: does the name resultion work = do you see the 104.154.197.154 address

Example:



3) open a browser and go to 10.10.10.10
Q: are you redirected to the portal

4) add another rule to the non-auth role
I can't remember the exact issue but it was necessary to also allow ARP
You'd try whether that helps, add the 0x806 rule....



Cheers,
Ron

Hi Ronald Dvorak, Thanks for help.
1, Make sure that the basic network access is working - bypass the CP
in GUI > VNS > Virtual Network > GUEST. set non-authenticated and authenticated to Guest_Captive_authen --> I can Access Internet
2,



3, open a browser and go to 10.10.10.10 --> I can't redirect to the portal
4, ... Remember please
Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Please check whether "Use HTTPS for User Connections:" is disabled = remove the checkmark in

GUI > VNS > WLAN services > Guest_Captive > Auth&Acct > Configure >
Userlevel 1
Ron wrote:

Please check whether "Use HTTPS for User Connections:" is disabled = remove the checkmark in

GUI > VNS > WLAN services > Guest_Captive > Auth&Acct > Configure >



I disable "Use HTTPS". But I can't redirect captive portal.
Userlevel 3
When you connect, what role are you getting - Reports>Clients>
Userlevel 5
There is an option under VNS > Global for "Client Autologin". It's not the best name for this feature! But this is what controls weather the client is automatically sent to the logon page when they join the network.



I don't think this is your issue. Because the page would still load when you try to go to some other site (like Google).

VNS > WLAN > *click on your WLAN* > Auth & Acct tab - click the Configure button. What does your Guest Portal look like? Can you post some screenshots? You might try changing this to Guest Splash for testing. I think most people choose Guest Splash because it's easy to set up. You would do Guest Portal if you need to use some sort of username, password, key, etc. But if you just need for them to agree to some rules, use Guest Splash.

Also - I would consider using a larger IP scope for your guest network. Or shorten your DHCP lease time. Depending on the number of people you have passing by, it doesn't take long to loan out all of your IP's, and then nobody can connect until those leases start expiring.
Userlevel 5
Hello Long,

There is a rule based redirection setting in newer releases, starting in 10.11, that will prevent the client getting a portal page. Please see this Knowledge Article and check if the "rule based redirection" setting is enabled.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Why-the-redirection-to-portal-page-failed-for...

Regards,
Jason
Userlevel 1
Jason wrote:

Hello Long,

There is a rule based redirection setting in newer releases, starting in 10.11, that will prevent the client getting a portal page. Please see this Knowledge Article and check if the "rule based redirection" setting is enabled.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Why-the-redirection-to-portal-page-failed-for...

Regards,
Jason

Thanks Jason,
Good guide! I configured to success Captive Portal.
Thank you very much.
Userlevel 5
Jason wrote:

Hello Long,

There is a rule based redirection setting in newer releases, starting in 10.11, that will prevent the client getting a portal page. Please see this Knowledge Article and check if the "rule based redirection" setting is enabled.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Why-the-redirection-to-portal-page-failed-for...

Regards,
Jason

You're welcome Long, thanks for letting us know!

Reply