Change IdentiFi Access Point "host_name" Attribute

Userlevel 3
The Access Points have two name attributes: "name" and "host_name".
In most cases the "host_name" is set like the "name", automatically. But this happens not always. On some APs the "host_name" is build from AP type and it's serial number, eg. "AP3705i-13161432915L0000".

Because the APs are registering themselves with its "host_name" in DNS it is some times confusing when seaching for.

How is it possible to influence the host name attribute?

It's not possible via Controller GUI and I didn't found a suitable CLI command.

Kind regrads
Christoph

9 replies

Userlevel 7
I found a way to set it directly from the ap shell access. I will check why it can't be changed via the controller GUI.
Userlevel 7
Looks like it was fixed in 9.15.02 but not in 9.21.01.
Userlevel 7
Reference: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Access-Points-Host-Name-field-does-not-match-the-Access-Point-Name
Userlevel 7
After further testing I found that the AP name has to start with a Letter not a Number. If the name starts with a number the Host Name field is not updated.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Access-Points-Host-Name-field-does-not-match-the-Access-Point-Name
Userlevel 3

Hello Doug

Thanks for your answer!

But, It is not only happens when the name starts with an number, see screen shot.
Firmware is 9.21

Kind regards
Christoph
Userlevel 7
Christoph wrote:

Hello Doug

Thanks for your answer!

But, It is not only happens when the name starts with an number, see screen shot.
Firmware is 9.21

Kind regards
Christoph

I've opened a case for tracking this issue....
Userlevel 3
Christoph wrote:

Hello Doug

Thanks for your answer!

Firmware is 9.21

Kind regards
Christoph

Many thanks!
Userlevel 7
It looks like a character restriction. It will take apx02-PladeLu-D1-Konfer but not the full name. Let me see if we have anything documented on the length.

-Doug
Userlevel 7
Update: Release notes will document the limitations, 23 chars or less...