MS Win2008R2 dhcp server: "BAD_ADDRESS"

Userlevel 4
Apple iPhone with iOS 8.3.x did not get ip adresses from DHCP server. The DHCP server leases shows entries labeled with "BAD_ADDRESS".

Looking for a solution to fix the ip address assigning problem.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
That means the device may have sent a NAC to the offer it was given. That address may be in use already...
Userlevel 7
Doug wrote:

That means the device may have sent a NAC to the offer it was given. That address may be in use already...

Typically the device that got the offer will arp out to see if the ip is already in use, if it is the client tells the server via a decline and that address gets labeled as a Bad Address. The server should not offer it out again until the lease expires.
Userlevel 4
Doug wrote:

Yes this could be a cause. But customer told me the address are not in use ...
Userlevel 7
Hi Harmut,
Can you take a wireshark capture on your DHCP server to determine where the DHCP Declines are coming from?
Use the "bootp" filter in Wireshark to see only Bootp/DHCP related traffic. When you find a Decline, look for the Client MAC addresses to see if you can trace it to a device.

Was this previously working?
Userlevel 4
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Harmut,
Can you take a wireshark capture on your DHCP server to determine where the DHCP Declines are coming from?
Use the "bootp" filter in Wireshark to see only Bootp/DHCP related traffic. When you find a Decline, look for the Client MAC addresses to see if you can trace it to a device.

Customer told me it was working before upgrading iOS to 8.x.

I will try to instruct him to create a wireshark trace for trouble shooting. He could activate tracing on the V2110 to get the required information.
Userlevel 7
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Harmut,

They sure can...

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/Using-Real-Capture-to-capture-wireless-traces-from-the-wireless-interface
Userlevel 4
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Harmut,

Would you recommend tracing on access point or on controller data plane (port)?
Userlevel 7
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Harmut,

When I'm troubleshooting DHCP issues in our lab, I prefer to look at the server directly.
Userlevel 7
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Harmut,

For me, real capture at the access point would be fine (eth0 only) if it's B@AP.
As Drew suggested you may also want to take one at the server too.
Userlevel 4
Drew C. wrote:

Hi Harmut,

If you have two options you could still decide to the third possibility 😉

Have to see, if i could create a mirror port on the switch the server is connected. Installing wireshark there would be not possible i think.
Userlevel 7
Hartmut on the identiFi solution are you using B@AP services with arp proxy enabled?
Userlevel 4
Doug wrote:

Hartmut on the identiFi solution are you using B@AP services with arp proxy enabled?

Not sure, if proxy arp is enabled. Think the topo of the VNS was B@AP. I have check this in a remote support session.

We did you ask?
Userlevel 4
I will do a packet analysis with wireshark to see whats really happen.

Thanks for all replies.
Userlevel 7
Take a look at this article... https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Client-connection-issues-with-ARP-Proxy-enabled-on-the-IdentiFi-Wireless-Controllers