Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Wireless Controller support IPv6?

Dear All

I have question about the Wireless controller support IPv6 issue.
Have wireless controller v9.0 support IPv6?
I mean it can do below:
1.Be a IPv6 DHCP Server?
2.The client device get a IPv6 Address and IPv6 address can be see on the active client report?

If I use extreme NAC in my IPv6 network environment, can i see a client device IPv6 IP address?

23 replies

Userlevel 4
Just reviewed the release notes and did not found new information about new IPv6 features.

Since software release 8.11 the firmware include IPv6 support for the management interface to use http(s), ssh and SNMP with a static IPv6 address. IPv6 for wireless clients is only support in briged@ap mode and requires services like SLACC or DHCPv6 on the wire side. I think policy (roles) support and IPv6 address in the client reports are still missing, but haven't tried it.

V9.0 seems also to support IPv6 adresses for NTP, Syslog, DNS, RADIUS, SCP and FTP servers (comments in user guide).

Some information whats on the IPv6 roadmap would be great.
Userlevel 2
Hi Harmut and Shuo, I have sent along a note to our product managers to give you some additional information about IPv6 roadmap. Thank you!
Userlevel 4
Tamera Rousseau-Vesta wrote:

Hi Harmut and Shuo, I have sent along a note to our product managers to give you some additional information about IPv6 roadmap. Thank you!

Hello Tamera, any response from the product managers?
Userlevel 2
Tamera Rousseau-Vesta wrote:

Hi Harmut, I have asked the PM team to jump in to give an update. Thanks for checking in!
Hi Tamera and Harmut

The NAC and NetSight is support IPv6, If I used web authentication on NAC, the client device authenticate by NAC.
Can show the end device IP Address(IPv6) on the NAC-->End System?
Can show the end device IP Address(IPv6) on the OneView-->Identity and Access-->End System?
Any news about this? What about http://www.excivity.com/ComputeCycle/late-ipv6-at-shmoocon-but-why/ ?
Userlevel 4
Michael wrote:

Any news about this? What about http://www.excivity.com/ComputeCycle/late-ipv6-at-shmoocon-but-why/ ?

As you can see, still waiting for a official reply.

@Tamera: Please ask Sohil Thakkar or leader of the engineering team for an answer
Userlevel 4
Apologies for the late reply and for the not so great answer 😢, but as a public company we are unable to discuss roadmap futures in an open forum due to regulatory requirements. If you need information about future features and enhancements please work with your Extreme Networks Partner and Sales Representative to sign an NDA and coordinate a roadmap discussion with Product Line Management (PLM). Sincerely, Will
Userlevel 4
Hello Will,

our company is Extreme Partner, but at the last partner circle there was no (new) information about IPv6 support related to IdentiFi. Good support for IPv6 is must have features for enterprise wireless. If I have to made a design decision to select a the right product based on a feature matrix the actual implemented feature are not enough 😞 that realy not fine, because I think overall its a good product.
According to the CLI guide: "On the controller the Ethertype=IPv6 rule is ignored. The controller always drops IPv6 traffic. "
So, the IPv6 traffic is already going from the access point to the controller via the CAPWAP and is filtered there? So, it could work if that filter is removed? It would be great to have the possiblity to bypass this, i.e. deactivate this filter e.g. from GUI (mark the function "beta"). Give us the opportunity to test this feature and give feedback to get it fully functional in future releases.
Userlevel 4
Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately it is not that simple. Among other things the control and data planes on the controller need to be updated to be able to bridge and route IPv6 traffic. The management plane has been updated already but the other components are critical and non-trivial to update.
I just reread http://www.excivity.com/ComputeCycle/late-ipv6-at-shmoocon-but-why/:
  1. You have a “tunnel” between the controller and the APs. This tunnel takes all the traffic from the APs and brings it back to the controller. The controller terminates this tunnel at the controller, and then places it on the VLANs as necessary. We are currently running version 8.21, and IPv6 will be supported in the 8.31 version coming before June.
We were offered the Alpha 8.31 code from engineering

So, an early 8.31 alpha release already had some IPv6 support for the bridging through the controller?

- Well, it would be great if we could get a kind of roadmap, a timeframe, just a hint when the wlan controllers get the IPv6 support.

Best Regards
Michael

Update:
Btw, does Extremenetworks provide a kind of dynamic NAT46 gateway for that purpose?

So something like: https://github.com/festango/f5-irule-dns46-nat46
The goal "is to allow internal IPv4 hosts to communicate with ANY IPv6 only hosts by dynamically translating AAAA responses into internal only A responses and converting back to original IPv6 destination address when actual IPv4 traffic is coming through."
Michael wrote:

I just reread http://www.excivity.com/ComputeCycle/late-ipv6-at-shmoocon-but-why/:

1. You have a “tunnel” between the controller and the APs. This tunnel takes all the traffic from the APs and brings it back to the controller. The controller terminates this tunnel at the controller, and then places it on the VLANs as necessary. We are currently running version 8.21, and IPv6 will be supported in the 8.31 version coming before June.
We were offered the Alpha 8.31 code from engineering

So, an early 8.31 alpha release already had some IPv6 support for the bridging through the controller?

- Well, it would be great if we could get a kind of roadmap, a timeframe, just a hint when the wlan controllers get the IPv6 support.

Best Regards
Michael

Update:
Btw, does Extremenetworks provide a kind of dynamic NAT46 gateway for that purpose?

So something like: https://github.com/festango/f5-irule-dns46-nat46
The goal "is to allow internal IPv4 hosts to communicate with ANY IPv6 only hosts by dynamically translating AAAA responses into internal only A responses and converting back to original IPv6 destination address when actual IPv4 traffic is coming through."

We are looking for IPv6 B@HWC function, we have 50 Controllers and 500 APs, we have IPv6 in all Wired Network, others WiFi vendors supports transport IPv6 thought the Controller, I kindly ask for this function,

Regards
Teo
Happy new year! So it ́s 2015. Perhaps we will receive v.9.x firmware with full IPv6 support? Anyone knows more?
Michael, I dont think so, but we will continue asking to Extreme team about it, we need IPv6 as soon as possible, happy new year!
Teo
Could we please get an update to this question? When can we expect IPv6 tunneling support between access points and the wifi controller?
Userlevel 4
IPv6 continues to rise in our priority list, driven by our higher-education customers. However, while Extreme is committed to providing a 100% IPv6 compatible solution in the future, there are no additional IPv6 enhancements in the near future. Our immediate focus, based on customer feedback, is to continue to address high-density needs and providing visibility and control as you will see with the upcoming release of V9.21. We will continue our IPv6 roll out in future releases, but we are not ready to provide dates at this time.

Thanks,

Will
Userlevel 1
Hello,

could we please get a status update on this topic, please?

Thanks
Chris
Userlevel 2
n.n. n.n. wrote:

Hello,

could we please get a status update on this topic, please?

Thanks
Chris

Any news???
Userlevel 7
Make sure you contact your Extreme Sales Person, they can work with our Product Management Team to get you an answer.
10.11.02 release notes say:

Introducing IPv6 support for Bridge at Wireless Controller and Tunnel at Wireless Controller topology with IPv6 filter rules and IPv6 Proxy support.

Userlevel 4
James A wrote:

Introducing IPv6 support for Bridge at Wireless Controller and Tunnel at Wireless Controller topology with IPv6 filter rules and IPv6 Proxy support.

Seems like other people get up early in the morning to read release notes 😉 Good news after 2 years waiting.
Userlevel 1
James A wrote:

- too late for me
- 2 years later...
- for V.10 only
- not for V.9
- and therefore not for my hundreds of AP36xx series access points.