Wireless Firmware 10.x

• 17 November 2015
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi Do we have a release date for the new version 10 firmware for the wireless appliances? Thx Andre

35 replies

Userlevel 7
I'd like to add another question to the topic... will all controller models that currently run v9 also support v10 or is there one that is EoS in v10 ?
Userlevel 4
The target release date is December 18th. The current shipping controllers as well as the C4110 and C5110 will be supported with V10.01. However, neither the 2600 nor the 3600 Series APs will be supported with V10.01. V9.21 will be the last supported release of those legacy APs until they reach end-of-service life.

Thanks,

Will
Userlevel 5
Hi Will Thank you for the feedback..... So no support for any of the 36xx series?? We have a few clients that is running more than 600 AP's of which 40% is still 36xx series AP's, the remaining 60% is a combo of 37xx and 38xx AP's. They will never be able to deploy the new 39xx series unless they make a huge investment.........
Userlevel 4
No, there will be no support for the 3600 Series. You can still run a mixed environment but your 3600 Series will have to be homed to a V9.21 controller. If you are using a centralized deployment your mobility domain can include V9.21 and V10.01 controllers ensuring transparent roaming across the mixed environment. Although it doesn't seem like it, removing support for older platforms is for the benefit of our customers, allowing us to move quicker to meet their growing needs for more bandwidth hungry applications as well as providing them more visibility and control over their network.

Sincerely,

Will
Userlevel 4
No, there will be no support for the 3600 Series. You can still run a mixed environment but your 3600 Series will have to be homed to a V9.21 controller. If you are using a centralized deployment your mobility domain can include V9.21 and V10.01 controllers ensuring transparent roaming across the mixed environment. Although it doesn't seem like it, removing support for older platforms is for the benefit of our customers, allowing us to move quicker to meet their growing needs for more bandwidth hungry applications as well as providing them more visibility and control over their network.

Sincerely,

Will

Given the constant change in user wireless devices and our past experience in constantly having to upgrade firmware to support them, I am afraid you have effectively obsoleted the 3600s long before their end of service date.
Userlevel 1

Sincerely,

Will

Well, what?

I ́m waiting for IPv6 support for bridged@controller setup for year(s)

- In anexternal blog post it was mentioned that IPv6 bridged@controller support was in an alpha version of 8.31

- In V9, nothing was introduced

- Now with V10, it was likely that we would finally see some improvements next year.

- And what happens. There ́s no V10 support for AP3610 access points?

Oh please, no! We have over 300 AP3610 access points running. That ́s way over 90% of our wlan access points. (And yes, as of today I know that this step was already mentioned in the end of sale announcement for the AP3610 series)

That ́s "sad"...
Userlevel 4

Sincerely,

Will

If I am reading the EOSL documents correctly, the end of sales for a 3610 was December 2014. Ending software support after 1 year seems kind of drastic. Does that mean a
Userlevel 6

Sincerely,

Will

We're lucky enough to only have 3710s and 3825s (which I've only recently started deploying), but only because we waited 6 months to get our 3710s after they were delayed twice. I can understand dropping support for the 2600 series, but it's hardly customers' fault that they have lots of 3600s (a first-gen 802.11n product) when there was no second-gen 802.11n AP and the third gen (37xx) was delayed significantly. At the very least you could keep support but with a reduced functionality level, like the 2600 series in v9.
Userlevel 6

Sincerely,

Will

Curtis: Reading the 3610 EOL document says EOS was the end of March this year.
Userlevel 4

Sincerely,

Will

Guys,

Just to clarify, the AP3610 is feature complete and has been for awhile due to hardware limitations. We simply ran of capacity on a platform that was introduced back in 2008. Once we reach end-of-sale, which for the AP3610 was 3/31/2015, Extreme supports the firmware in maintenance mode for another 3 years. So we will continue to support the AP3610 via future V9.21.XX maintenance updates through 3/31/2018. The hardware itself (RMAs) is supported for 5 years after end-of-sale, in this case through 3/31/2020. So by the time we reach end-of-service-life, Extreme would have supported AP3610 for over 10 years. That is a long lifecycle for a platform based on WiFi technology that is moving very rapidly.

Sincerely,

Will
Userlevel 6

Sincerely,

Will

Sure, but the installed base is huge since it was the top of the line AP for 5 years (until March 2013). Long sales life means a long support life, just ask Microsoft how long it took to kill Windows XP because Vista was a late flop.
Userlevel 1

Sincerely,

Will

WS-AP2600 series is really old (802.11a/b/g),
but AP3610 isn ́t: 802.11a/b/g/n, dual band simultaneously, MIMO 3x3:3. This is still high end nowadays.
It would be great if you could add version 10 software support for them i a future release
Userlevel 7

Sincerely,

Will

I'd unterstand both sites on this topic, I've also installations that are affected.

The AP36xx was released in V5R1 in 2008 - I think everybody has his own opinion whether that is old or not.

My only personal issue with the whole situation is that the infomtion wasn't provided earlier.

But let's face it... 4 weeks before release there is no way to implement support for the AP.

-Ron
Userlevel 1

Sincerely,

Will

Well you can still support those devices in a later subrelease 10.xx, though.
Btw, one feature is still missing for AP3610, which will probably in V10 next year: "IPv6 bridged at controller"
One question though: When I upgrade all my c4110 to V10, will my AP3610 stop working?
Userlevel 4

Sincerely,

Will

James: I was going by this document. http://extrcdn.extremenetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Product_EOL_Published_Report.pdf
Userlevel 7

Sincerely,

Will

http://extrcdn.extremenetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IdentiFi_Wireless_AP3610_Product_EoS-A...
Userlevel 4

Sincerely,

Will

Looks like Extreme milked the 36xx line too long. If the 36xxs can't co-exist on the same controllers with the newer WAPs, that means we are maintaining and troubleshooting two completely different wireless systems.
Userlevel 4

Sincerely,

Will

WS-AP3610 DUAL 802.11A/B/G/N INDOOR INT ANTENNA DUAL 802.11A/B/G/N INDOOR INT ANTENNA 12/31/2014 03/31/2020 Guess extreme is confused too.
Userlevel 1

Sincerely,

Will

Well, well, well... Extreme, where is the trade-in program to "update" all legacy AP?
Userlevel 1

Sincerely,

Will

@Curtis
Why should V10 not support the ASIC/hardware on AP36xx series any longer? Does it include a brand new Linux kernel, where the driver was removed? I don ́t think so. What is "V10" than a V9 with some enhancements added? It ́s not a completely new written Wifi Controller Software. If one of those new features isn ́t supported on AP36xx, don ́t activate it... Is it really that hard? So, please Extremenetworks, Keep your existing customers happy.

Sincerely,

Will

We have over 900 36xx APs. Are plan was to slowly phase in 39xx wave 2 APs over the next few years. It would be a waste to continue with 37xx and 38xx models.

I don't want to run multiple controllers in different versions.

So my choice is either to essentially run a second wireless system or dump money into already obsolete APs?
Userlevel 7
@n.n.n.n
"One question though: When I upgrade all my c4110 to V10, will my AP3610 stop working?"

Yes, or to be more precise - the APs are not able to register on the controller if they are not supported.
Userlevel 4
Really bad news for some of our biggest customers running many 36xx's APs. Some of them decided to switch from the C4110 controllers to V2110 to be more future-proof on the controller side and now they can't update to V10, because the AP36xx's will be not supported.

There are several usecases where wireless infructure nearly have to work 24x7 and even the ap exchange to a newer model would be challenging. Longterm support for the APs was one of the biggest selling aguments compared to other enterprise wireless competitors in the past. The new situation would cause some of our customers to think about there network strategy.

The idea to switch of unsupported new V10 features for the 36xx's like for the 26xx's in past would be a better alternative. This would add 4 years more lifetime for large scale 36xx's installations till they reach there well known EoL in 03/31/2020.
We have 569 APs (AP3605) with 2 controllers (C5210 and C5110-2) in our second year of use.
Userlevel 1
My personal roadmap was also to wait for new 802.11ac (wave 2) access points for new buildings and not to buy any 37xx or 38xx devices any longer. So for running 39xx I need V10, for running 36xx I need V9. Therefore I have to buy and support new ExtremeNetwork controllers? I currently don ́t think I ́ll do so.
As Hartmut Sachse already pointed out, a main selling point for Enterasys was to have a long term support in contrast to some other major vendors. Therefore I really like to see some basic V10 support for AP36xx series access points. Switch of unsupported features on AP36xx devices like you currently already do (i.e.: Radio Management (11k) support for 37xx and 38xx only), but let them be compatible with current software.