Wireless Load Groups

Userlevel 1
What is the Wireless Load Groups option for in the Enterasys controller C5210?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
If you've for example a large conference room with let's say 90 clients you'd put in 3 APs.
Then add this 3 APs in a load group and the controller attempt to steer the clients equal to the 3APs.

Requirments:
– Provide same SSID’s– Preferable Line of Site (LOS) between each AP
– Deployed on multiple channels with overlapping coverage
– Clients in the area are able to associate with any of the AP’s
Userlevel 1
Ron wrote:

If you've for example a large conference room with let's say 90 clients you'd put in 3 APs.
Then add this 3 APs in a load group and the controller attempt to steer the clients equal to the 3APs.

Requirments:

Load groups wouldn't work good in a school? It would have to be an open area.
Userlevel 7
Ron wrote:

Requirments:

You are right - it make no sense to enable load group to a whole building.
The client must be in the range of all APs from the same load group.

One valid option would be to use it for example in an auditorium or a gymnasium if you've a big event and use a punch of APs in this area to take care of the high amount of visitors/clients.
Userlevel 1
Ron wrote:

Requirments:

Ok, thanks for all this helpful information. I just noticed some of our schools are in load groups for some reason. I am going to create a group for band steering, to help the mirroring to apple tvs improve.
Userlevel 1
Ron wrote:

Requirments:

does it have to be in an open area for band steering as well?
we have an AP in each classroom with 2.4 and 5Ghz radios and clients. and i think some of the 2.4 clients are slowing things down and causing issues
Userlevel 7
Ron wrote:

Requirments:

Band preference could be enabled in the whole building - they APs don't need to be in the same area.
The function just try to steer clients that support 2.4GHz & 5GHz to use the 5GHz band.
Userlevel 1
Where do I go to turn on band steering?
Userlevel 7
GUI > AP > load groups > new
- put in a name and set the type to "radio prefernce" and click add
- enable "band preference" and choose the APs that you'd like to use and save
Userlevel 7
See also...

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-set-up-a-Client-Balancing-AP-load-group

and...

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-set-up-a-Band-Preference-Group-Band-Steering-on-IdentiFi-Wireless
Laura, let us know if you have any follow up questions on this topic.
Userlevel 1
What are these other settings for? Do i need to apply the Load Control settings, if I am just doing band preference? Those Load Control settings would only work in an open area, correct?

Userlevel 7
Load Control - Each ap balances in isolation from the other aps. It's different than the Load Group setting that balance client loads between each ap within the Load Group. If you set a limit of users per radio and that limit is met, the radio will essentially ignore a new request which should force the user to contact another access point close by. If the client is adamant about attaching to the ap with the limit set, the radio will eventually let it on.

If you choose the strict setting along with a max number and that max number is met, any client that is above the max number will fail to connect to the ap.

So to answer your question, no you don't need Load Control for Radio Preference to work.
Userlevel 7
Reference: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-set-up-a-Band-Preference-Group-Band-Steering-on-IdentiFi-Wireless

I've included the Load Control and the Strict setting information in the Band Preference article.